Squam Lakes Brewery with Pictures

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Walker
We got the float switch and the complete conversion from Brewmation.
If you are going electric you want the float switch. 10-20 seconds and you fry the elements

Yeah, thay's why I want one. I have looked around a little, but can't find any that can handle the temps, let alone one with food safe mayterials/construction.

Walker
When i get back from China next week i will look and see if i can get a manfacture off the ones we use. someone out there must have used these things

I just want to give a brief update on the status of Squam Brewing. I have been selling beer commercially since August 2nd, and so far things have been going well. My first beer, the Asquam Amber Ale, has been selling out of stores regularly and I'm having trouble keeping up with demand. My next beer, the Halcyon Steamer Stout, should be available in stores this coming Monday. This will be followed shortly by my Golden IPA. You can view pictures of the labels at my website, www.squambrewing.com. I have a couple more beers that will be coming fairly soon. There is an article in today's local paper on my brewery if any of you want to check it out http://www.laconiadailysun.com/LaconiaPDF/2010/8/26L.pdf. If any of you HBTers are up in this area, shoot me an email and I can give you a tour.

hey man have you ever consider using a blickmann gun?? to fill the bottles, it is a lot easier to fill a bunch of bottles, especialy if you all ready have a condicioning tank.

by the way nice set up, cheers

hey man have you ever consider using a blickmann gun?? to fill the bottles, it is a lot easier to fill a bunch of bottles, especialy if you all ready have a condicioning tank.

by the way nice set up, cheers

If I was going to force carbonate my beers I would consider a blichmann beer gun, but with my current setup I see no reason to own one. I set the bottling wand inside a bottle and let it fill up while I cap the previous bottle. Then I take the full bottle and cap it while the next one is filling itself. So by myself I bottle at the same speed that two people normally go at. A beer gun would slow me down since I would have to hold it while filling, then set it down while bottling. All of my beers are bottle conditioned, so the main advantage of the beer gun is wasted on my setup. Maybe I'm missing something, but that's my take on it.

That article was awesome. Congrats man. A little disappointed they didn't mention your website in the article though, but that is great publicity.

Keep up the good work!

Congrats on successfully starting brewery. I live in Virginia and am considering setting up a 1bbl "nano" operation in a detached garage on my property. I have a few questions:

1) Did the TTB or other inspectors require you to alter the garage/barn in any way in order to conform to codes. For example, were you required to install ventilation or floor drains?

2) Does New Hampshire allow for self distribution or are you going through a distributor?

3) Any advise related to designing/modifying a detatched garage for use as a nano-brewery in order to get it passed inspection(s)?

Congrats on successfully starting brewery. I live in Virginia and am considering setting up a 1bbl "nano" operation in a detached garage on my property. I have a few questions:

1) Did the TTB or other inspectors require you to alter the garage/barn in any way in order to conform to codes. For example, were you required to install ventilation or floor drains?

2) Does New Hampshire allow for self distribution or are you going through a distributor?

3) Any advise related to designing/modifying a detatched garage for use as a nano-brewery in order to get it passed inspection(s)?

Its great to hear you might be starting a nanobrewery in the near future! I wish you the best of luck. Now to answer your questions;

1) The TTB had me send them a bunch of pictures of the brewery. The only thing they made me alter was to replace the wooden door leading into the brewery with a metal door. This was for security reasons. The room already had a floor drain and we installed an exhaust fan before we applied to the TTB (boiling 45 gallons of liquid in an enclosed room pretty much requires it). The TTB no longer does inspections but relies on state inspectors. The TTB issued us our Brewer's Notice without any inspections. Later the state came to check out the brewery before they would give us our Beverage Manufacturer's License. They didn't ask us to alter anything, they just made us lease the driveway leading up to the barn to the LLC so that they would be able to do inspections without trespassing on private property.

2) New Hampshire does allow for self distribution. I'm not sure that I would have started a one barrel brewery if I had to go through a distributor, but maybe I still would have. Self distributing is very nice. Most of the stores that carry my beer are within 20 minutes of the brewery. I spend a bit of time and gas making deliveries, but I get to pocket the 30% markup that the distributors would have taken. An added benefit is that I have a personal relationship with the store owners. They call me when they need more product, and they hand me cash or a check when I make deliveries. They relay customer feedback to me, which is very helpful. If you can self distribute, I strongly recommend you go that route.

3) If I were you, I would design your brew shed to be a great nano-brewery. If it works great for you, than I don't see why you would have any trouble having it pass inspections. What makes a great nano-brewery? One that is easy to clean. Stainless surfaces are better than wood. A floor drain is almost a necessity. Walls that can be sprayed and wiped down. What you don't want is a cluttered, moldy, messy brewery. Maybe the inspectors won't care, but in the long run you'll only be doing yourself a favor by making it nice from the start. I would assume you're going to want to insulate it also to cut down on your heating costs.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any other questions. :mug:

Jumbo, thanks for taking the time to provide such thorough responses to my questions.

The three-tier distribution paradigm we have here in Virginia is a pain, but its what I would have to deal with.

I'm looking at building a garage from the ground up so I would have the opportunity to construct it with a brewery in mind.

The floor drain is one of the things that has me puzzled. Because of the lay of the land where the garage would sit, I would really have to install a pump to pump the drainage back up to my house's sewage/water water drain lines. Also, I'm not even sure floor drains are permitted here in VA in residential settings due to concerns of people draining oil and chemicals into them. Thats something I will need to look into.

Anyway, thanks again and good luck.

Its great to hear you might be starting a nanobrewery in the near future! I wish you the best of luck. Now to answer your questions

2) New Hampshire does allow for self distribution. I'm not sure that I would have started a one barrel brewery if I had to go through a distributor, but maybe I still would have. Self distributing is very nice. Most of the stores that carry my beer are within 20 minutes of the brewery. I spend a bit of time and gas making deliveries, but I get to pocket the 30% markup that the distributors would have taken. An added benefit is that I have a personal relationship with the store owners. They call me when they need more product, and they hand me cash or a check when I make deliveries. They relay customer feedback to me, which is very helpful. If you can self distribute, I strongly recommend you go that route.

:mug:

Exactly why I did not follow through on a small brewery 15yrs ago. GA is still a 3-tier state. The good ol boy network is still alive and well here. You can even go to a restaurant or bar and drink all day long on a Sunday. Just don't go to your local grocery or package store to buy a 6-pack. The Baptists are against that. Is there a list of states that do allow self distribution? I'm just curious.

Is there a list of states that do allow self distribution

A list like that would be nice. It would double as a list of states I should consider moving to.

I know that my stately neighbor to the south, North Carolina, also allows for self-distribution.

Thanks jimox. Most excellent, according to that listing, a Virginia brewery:

Virginia
License to self-distribute: Yes
Title 4.1
§ 4.1-208. Beer licenses (brewer stated a brewery can form a separate distribution company as a distinct legal entity)

So I could potentially setup my own distribution company. Jeez, never underestimate the ability of the government to needlessly complexify something.

Your set up looks great, I'm looking into doing the samething when my wife retires in a few years. So I have been doing a lot of research.

I have a question about your labels. Where do you find the information as to what needs to be on the label, i.e. barcodes, warnings, etc.

Your set up looks great, I'm looking into doing the samething when my wife retires in a few years. So I have been doing a lot of research.

I have a question about your labels. Where do you find the information as to what needs to be on the label, i.e. barcodes, warnings, etc.

Everything you've ever wanted to know and more can be found here; http://ecfr.gpoaccess.gov/cgi/t/tex...5;view=text;node=27:1.0.1.1.5;idno=27;cc=ecfr. 4 out of 5 of my labels were rejected the first time around for various reasons (the lettering in my surgeon generals warning was 1.9 mm in height and not 2mm, I used "IPA" in the name of my beer without writing out "India Pale Ale", there wasn't enough contrast between my lettering and the background color, etc.). You just make the changes they want and resubmit. Its almost easier than trying to figure out all the rules on the subject.

How are things going with the beer sales? Would you change anything equipment wise? Awesome looking nano!

How are things going with the beer sales? Would you change anything equipment wise? Awesome looking nano!

Beer sales are going well. I'm in seven stores now and would be able to sell more beer if I could make more. Equipment has been working great. The dual head peristaltic pump is probably the best investment I've ever made. I just ordered a MM3-2.0 Monster Mill with the hardened steel upgrade (http://www.monsterbrewinghardware.com/mm-320.html). If I could change something, it would be to have ordered a nice grain mill sooner. The boil kettle works great, the conicals are a dream, the Thermonator plate chiller is fantastic. I honestly can't think of any equipment that I would change. I'm in the middle of brewing my Bobhouse Bitter today, so I need to get back out there. I'll try to think of what I would change while I wrap up this batch.

So, I guess the question is, what's your day job? I.e. have you gotten to the point where you two can do this full time and keep the lights on?

So, I guess the question is, what's your day job? I.e. have you gotten to the point where you two can do this full time and keep the lights on?

This is my day job. Between the brewing, cleaning, bottling, labeling, deliveries, ordering and picking up supplies, and paperwork for the state and feds, I'm pretty busy during the week. I may not be punching in 8 hours every day, but Sunday-Saturday I'm either in the brewery or doing something brewing related almost every day. It pays the bills, but I'm not making what I was at my old job...yet. I have applied to the TTB to store the beer I'm conditioning in a separate area of the barn. If and when that application is approved I'll be able to fit more conicals in the brewery and ramp up production a bit more. The low monthly overhead is what is making this nanobrewery profitable. If I was paying rent on a place I would definitely be struggling to keep my head above water. As it is, I'm in a pretty good situation and loving what I do :mug:.

Edit: My dad has a full time job. He helps out with building stuff, but I run to the day to day operations alone.

Seeing this thread makes me want to rip out my basement and start over... or just move into yours... :)
What's your distribution area? Would I be able to find your beers in the north shore of MA? Not too far from NH, but that state line could be a problem...

Seeing this thread makes me want to rip out my basement and start over... or just move into yours... :)
What's your distribution area? Would I be able to find your beers in the north shore of MA? Not too far from NH, but that state line could be a problem...

My distribution area is mostly just around Squam Lake, but I did add a couple of towns further south. The closest town to Mass that I distribute to is Hooksett. For a full listing of stores and towns, visit my website at www.squambrewing.com.

This is pretty amazing, thanks for answering all the questions for everyone. This is one of the reasons I'd like to move to a state where you can self distribute, and a house with an out building.

What kind of gap are you running on your MM3-2.0 Jumbo? I have the same mill and I'm trying to get an idea of where I need to be gap wise. I have it set to 45 thou right now but it's been leading to somewhat sticky sparges...

What kind of gap are you running on your MM3-2.0 Jumbo? I have the same mill and I'm trying to get an idea of where I need to be gap wise. I have it set to 45 thou right now but it's been leading to somewhat sticky sparges...

I don't remember what its set at right now. I'll take a measurement tomorrow and post back here.

My mill is set at 52. I crushed up 55lbs of wheat malt and 35 lbs of pilsner malt today for a one barrel batch of Winter Wheat (my newest commercial beer). With that amount of wheat and no rice hulls the sparge was a bit slow, but not too bad. I haven't had any issues at all on this gap setting when using all barley. Efficiency in the 80s. Its a great mill.

Soooo glad to see you guys up and running!
You are an inspiration to us all!
It’s the entrepreneurial spirit like yours that started this country! And guys like you that keep it going…. You should be very proud of yourself!!!
Live the dream my friend!
Cheers
Jay

MM3-2 Build

Still need to do some work like make a guard and fix the 1 hp motor down but its up and working

IMG_20101028_065700.jpg

IMG_20101028_065709.jpg

IMG_20101028_065744.jpg

IMG_20101028_065752.jpg

IMG_20101028_065804.jpg

It was designed to be removed
You can just pick it up
It holds 1 1/2 buckets of grain easily
Remember we can be grinding 50-80 lbs for a single mash

My mill is set at 52. I crushed up 55lbs of wheat malt and 35 lbs of pilsner malt today for a one barrel batch of Winter Wheat (my newest commercial beer). With that amount of wheat and no rice hulls the sparge was a bit slow, but not too bad. I haven't had any issues at all on this gap setting when using all barley. Efficiency in the 80s. Its a great mill.

Thanks for the data point. I set mine at 55 thousandths last night but it started snowing and my pots were outside needing a wash so I skipped the brew I was planning. I'll try it this weekend...

Love the thread. Congrats on your builds and going nano-pro.

What do you use for temp control during fermentation? I assume you are just keeping the ambient at good levels for your numerous fermentation vessels, but I am curious if you have anything else set-up.

Love the thread. Congrats on your builds and going nano-pro.

What do you use for temp control during fermentation? I assume you are just keeping the ambient at good levels for your numerous fermentation vessels, but I am curious if you have anything else set-up.

We use temperature tolerant yeast and leave the fermenters at ambient temp, which we hold in the mid 60s year round. Its been working well so far.

Back