Ready for Bottling???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hiphops

Reaction score
I brewed a 5 gallon batch of a 90 minute IPA on August 1 with an O.G. of 1.050.

I've taken measurements in the past 2 days and the readings on the hydrometer are 1.008.

I'm gonna take another measurement tonight. If it reads 1.008, you think its ready to bottle? Its been in the fermenter for about 24 days now.

Now or another week, either/or, you should be good to go. By your readings fermetation is good and done, its just cleaning up now. just remember its your call

Once you hit your predict FG (or when it is steady as in you case) the yeast will begin "cleaning" so to speak. They'll start working on some of the byproducts of fermentation, eating up this and that. Also the yeast and other particals will begin to settle on the bottle.

The longer it sits the more which will settle, which generally results in a clearer beer. Some leave it in the primary for 3 weeks or even a month or more. In many cases fermentation is done within the first 10 days or so. so the rest is kinda like a clarfication period.

My last two batches were done in under 1 week, but I left it in for 3 weeks total to let the yeast clean up and for everything to settle out of the beer. It resulted in some pretty clear homebrew

Catch my drift?

That's very interesting. Is it fair to say that the cleaning up is more cosmetic than substantive? I am wondering whether by letting the yeast clean up the beer you get (literally) a clean beer such that it would minimize hangovers, if consumed in excess.

I think its a bit of both. Mostly cosmetic as a lot of "stuff" will fall out of suspension giving a clearer appearance, but from what I've learned here is that some of the "stuff" might not allow the beer to be all it can be, thus a bit substantive.

I don't think it'll clean it up like say triple distilled vodka and be utter hangover free. Interesting theory though. I,d brew up a session if you want something you can knock back a few not feel like crap in the AM. I love British style session beer for this reason, so far all the brews I've done are under 5%. I have a Scottish 70 in the primary now

Good luck and keep me posted.

Back