Dale's Pale Ale inspired beer - Input Please

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lustrum

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I recently decided to brew a DPA clone, but as I was formulating the recipe, decided to tweak it a little. DPA is one of my favorite beers, but for my version, I wanted to lighten the malt profile a tad and ease up on the aggressive hops. The end goal was to end up with a beer that might be similar to DPA, but a little easier to down on a hot Alabama afternoon.

The extract recipe is below. All feedback is welcome. Especially if you see something that seems like it might produce a beer way off my intended mark!

Here it is:

Recipe: Dale's Pale Ale - Lighter Version
Style: American Pale Ale
TYPE: Extract

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Boil Size: 2.00 gal
Estimated OG: 1.058 SG
Estimated Color: 10.2 SRM
Estimated IBU: 41.1 IBU
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
0.50 lb Carafoam (2.0 SRM) Dry Extract 5.88 %
6.00 lb Pale Liquid Extract (8.0 SRM) Extract 70.59 %
1.50 lb Amber Liquid Extract (12.5 SRM) Extract 17.65 %
0.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 30L (30.0 SRM) Grain 5.88 %

2.00 oz Northern Brewer [8.50 %] (60 min) Hops 25.1 IBU
1.50 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (25 min) Hops 8.5 IBU
1.00 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.00 %] (10 min) Hops 7.5 IBU
1.00 oz Centennial [10.00 %] (0 min) Hops -

1.00 items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 min) Misc

1 Pkgs American Ale II (Wyeast Labs #1272) Yeast-Ale

Process would be the usual extract deal. Steep the 30L grain for 20 mins below 170F. Boil, add extract, hops, etc.

Thanks for your help,

lustrum

Looks tasty to me, although for a pale it is still plenty malty/hoppy. Good luck brewing it.

True. What is a good target OG for a toned down version of DPA? I think the real deal is a 1.064 OG or so. Will the 6 degrees make much of a difference in the finished beer?

The hops are added to a 2 gallon boil. Do you think this will still be overly hopped? Ran this through a tinseth calc to get the IBUs. DPA is 65IBU, so I wanted to cut that by about 30-40 percent.

Thanks for your help

lustrum

I just did a APA at 1.045 for summer drinking with 1/2 lb of corn to thin/crisp it up a bit (with more late hops but fewer IBUs than yours). ~.5% less alcohol will be something, but it won't make for much of a character change. I wouldn't say it is over-hopped (especially with a partial boil) as is, with the gravity where it is you'll just have a well hopped beer (which is a good thing).

Cool. Can't wait to brew this thing and see how it comes out. I was a little wary of how much Carafoam to add. Wanted just enough to keep a good head and round out the body. Is there a general rule for this?

Back