Apfelwein Fermentation Temperature

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ThreeTaps

Reaction score
Hey all,

I couldn't find this in another thread so I'm asking here. I'm going to make a 5gal batch of Apfelwein in January so that it can sit in the primary for 3 months then bottle condition for 9, just in time for Christmas 2010. Here in San Diego, it's typically in the mid-high 60's as an ambient temperature, reaching up into the mid-high 70's in summer. I'm sure it's OK to have the Apfelwein ferment at 70F +/-, but is it OK to have it bottle condition between 70 and 80 for 9 months? I would assume it's similar to regular ale temps, but I don't know if any bad off-flavors will occur with being about 78F - 79F for a couple of months.

My bottles of Apfelwein have been conditioning in the mid-upper 70's all summer, I cracked one the other day and they're still getting better (bottled in February) so I'd say it's just fine.

My bottles of Apfelwein have been conditioning in the mid-upper 70's all summer, I cracked one the other day and they're still getting better (bottled in February) so I'd say it's just fine.

Thanks! I think I'm going to make it this month, since I hear it's great when chilled on hot summer days.

Thanks! I think I'm going to make it this month, since I hear it's great when chilled on hot summer days.

Ohhhhhhh yeah but it rocks my head the next day at 6am when I get up for work, sleeping in after this is a must for me lol.....awesome stuff though, going to crank a batch of it out tomorrow or Sunday.

Yep let em sit. I let mine ferment for 6 months before bottling. Had a 6 pack on labor day. It was good, but I know it can get better.

You might troll the "Cider" thread. I read 70F there, mine worked OK there......still conditioning in the bottle, waiting to see how it came out. After a month, it was pretty thin, little mouthfeel, and barely tasted like apples......but clearly plenty of alcohol.

I fermented my apfelwein about 75F and have been bottle conditioning it in my closet at whatever temp my apartment has been (definitely up into the 80's). Tastes great, you'll be fine.

Back