Can anyone help me with a simple request?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Schnitzengiggle

Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone out there with avery accurate scale can tell me exactly how much 1 cup of DME weighs in ounces and grams.

Just one well leveled cup.

My scale is not extremely accurate, and this would help me out greatly. Any help is appreciated.:mug:

Brew Your Own: The How-To Homebrew Beer Magazine - Techniques - Extract for All-Grainers: Advanced Brewing

according to the article in BYO above:
Weight per 1 cup (8 fl. oz.)
dried malt extract: very approximately 5.8 oz. (0.69 g/mL)
liquid malt extract: very approximately. 12.1 oz. (1.4 g/mL)

its like baking. you need to weight the flour because when it settles you end up with varying weight/cup. Go to your local bong shop and buy a cheap scale...

The problem is everyone's "cup" is going to weigh different. You'll get different answers from everyone.

a cup is a volume measurement, so therefore it cant be expressed as a wieght. you need to do it by weight to be certain of the ammount, because you can pack alot of sugar into a cup or scoop it up, tap it with a knife and level it and you get a very different weight. I agree with scinerd, a headshop will have a scale for as little as 10 bucks that is very accurate and easy to use, thats where i got mine.

Latest posts

Back