Alabama house passes Beer Law

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have lived many places, and I have to say that Alabama is the best place I've ever lived (Huntsville at least). Whenever I want something better to drink, I just take my happy a$$ up to TN, pick up some good brew, then head back down south. I can't wait for this law to change. One thing most people here in Alabama that are in favor of this change forget is the fact that it will take some time to build up the distribution channels. There also is the fact that all alcohol must be bought through the ABC, and if they don't buy it......it's just not available.

these kind of laws baffle me. has anyone seen slc punk where the main character is talking about Utah liquor laws that says that they can't get beer over 4 percent or something? he says that a drunk is just going to drink twice as much, so you're going to have a drunk that's fat a gross....ah well it's a funny movie. Then again, you can't buy booze on sunday here in Indiana because....well i guess they don't want you getting loaded before church

Yeah the sunday thing baffles me, if you are a true god fearing, church going person you wont be getting loaded before church. For all else, let them drink. "Keep your religion out of my life and ill keep mine out of yours."

Any news so far? If AL passes this, MS is not going to be far behind and I've got too_many friends there that would ecstatic if they could ever get a bill raising the alcohol % passed. Lazy Magnolia Brewery would be for one....

If you start getting the shakes, most churches give out wine for free.

Yeah, unless it's a baptist church who substitutes grape juice for the wine. (It's only a symbol anyway)

I don't care. I'm not buying my booze on Sunday morning anyway. It's just the stupidity of the law that makes me shake my head. I guess it makes some people feel better about themselves. Although they could have used the lobby money on better things like helping the poor...

for more info on this:

click: Alabama Legislative Information System Online

then click bills at the top left , then status then type sb132
search
click on the instrument number (it will highlight, not link anywhere)
then you can click the icons at the top related to that bill "history, sponsors, fiscal notes, etc"

no updates yet though

Then again, you can't buy booze on sunday here in Indiana because....well i guess they don't want you getting loaded before church

Thats just not right. If its against the law to buy booze on Sunday, then it should be against the law for people to go to church on Wednesday. Fair is Fair.

excellent.... what a great year would it be if they legalized homebrewing and raised the % to 13.9!!!!

Is that a Wolfenstein 3-D character I spy in your avatar, Chupacabras?

Guten tag!!! I used to hate that guy!

I live in Daphne, AL, and aside from the crappy beer selection I have no complaints. Here and there I can find good craft brews, albeit more expensive; I can buy beer anytime of the day or night, seven days a week(unlike GA, amongst others); I can publicly broadcast that I homebrew beer, and not fear any ramifications from local PD, ATF, or otherwise. To top it all off, where else can you wear shorts in January, stand a reasonably good chance of never seeing snow(let alone there being any left to shovel), NEVER experience an earthquake, grow your own citrus, blueberries, hops, pears, corn, and pretty much whatever else you want??? Not only that, but fishing here is like shooting fish in a barrel. Did I forget to mention that I LOVE humidity =P??? Any Baldwin/Mobile County Homebrewers contact me!:fro:

It's Official!!! The Hops Have Been Freed!! Gov Bob Riley Signed Off On Hb373 This Morning...

We Can Now Sell Beer Up To 13.9% Abv!!!!

I scared the wife and kid this morning when I yelled out in excitement after hearing the news!

Called local beer/wine place today. Several distributors already have "high gravity" brews in stock. Expect to see them on certain shelves next week!

I just left vulcan beverage. He told me that it will take him 2 days to 4 months to get the beer in stock. Two days if he does not need a new license and 4 months if he does. But I heard that a few of the grocery stores around town already have the license to sale the high abv beer so they should have it sometime next week.

I just bought my first high gravity beer in alabama. Ommegang Hennepin. I wish the law would of passed sooner before I brewed a batch of saison, now I have have five gallons of this in a fermenter. I was not really expecting the taste, maybe the second one will be better.

I just bought my first high gravity beer in alabama. Ommegang Hennepin. I wish the law would of passed sooner before I brewed a batch of saison, now I have have five gallons of this in a fermenter. I was not really expecting the taste, maybe the second one will be better.

Unless you're brewing a Hennepin clone, you don't have any reason to think yours will have the same taste as that one. Maybe similar, but there's so much variation. You may well like yours better. If you don't, I'll give you my mailing address for the rest. :D

I hated IPAs until just recently when I discovered that I'd tried the wrong ones.

Here is a list of the new beers we can get. Its not too bad

Brewery Beer Pack Retail
Abita Jockamo IPA 6-pk $8.49
Ayinger Celebrator Dopplebock 4-pk $11.29
Carlsberg Elephant 6-pk $8.49
Delirium Nocturnum 4-pk $15.69
Delirium Tremens 4-pk $15.69
Duvel Belgian Ale 4-pk $13.29
Gouden Carolus Ambrino 4-pk $13.99
Gouden Carolus Classis 4-pk $13.99
Gouden Carolus Triple 4-pk $13.99
Houblon Chouffe Double IPA single $3.99
Kastell Donker 4-pk $14.39
Kastell Rouge 4-pk $14.39
Kastell Triple 4-pk $14.39
Kastell Brigand 4-pk $14.39
La Chouffe Belgian Spiced Golden Ale single $3.99
Left Hand Imperial Stout 6-pk $11.29
Mendocino White Hawk IPA 6-pk $8.49
Mendocino Eye of the Hawk 6-pk $8.49
North Coast Brother Thelononious, Belgian Style Abbey Ale 4-pk $11.99
North Coast Old Rasputin, Imperial Stout 4-pk $7.99
North Coast Pranqster, Belgian Style Golden Ale 4-pk $7.99
Ommegang Hennepen Farmhouse Ale 4-pk $8.79
Orval Trappist Ale single $4.99
Saison Dupont Farmhouse Ale 4-pk $14.99
Sam Smith Imperial Stout 4-pk $10.69
Saranac Imperial IPA 6-pk $8.99
Witkap Pater Dubbel Abbey Ale 4-pk $14.99
Witkap Pater Tripel Abbey Ale 4-pk $14.99

I just left vulcan beverage. He told me that it will take him 2 days to 4 months to get the beer in stock. Two days if he does not need a new license and 4 months if he does. But I heard that a few of the grocery stores around town already have the license to sale the high abv beer so they should have it sometime next week.

I was in Vulcan Beverage today and he had just received a shipment of the new stuff. He needed an hour to get everything entered into his system so I left and came back and purchased many of the new beers that he received.

I was in Vulcan Beverage today and he had just received a shipment of the new stuff. He needed an hour to get everything entered into his system so I left and came back and purchased many of the new beers that he received.

A guy at western told me that the vestavia location had already gone through 2 pallets of good beer and that the mtn brook location had gone through 4 pallets. Maybe next year we can get a big bottle bill passed.

I just read in the black and white that sweetwater is brewing two special beers to celebrate the free the hops bill passing. It gave no details on what the beers would be or when we would see them but they should be awesome.

As a mildly frustrated homebrewer & craft bier enthusiast living in the great state of Mississippi I've been following Alabama's quest to 'Free the Hops' pretty much since it's inception. I must say I'm very happy for yall!

The real battle which was waged in AL, and which is being waged in MS is education. Same goes for a hand full of states which continue to restrict the making of homemade cider, wine, mead, or bier. Essentially people are ignorant as to why anyone wants or needs, or in the worst cases that there in fact is, anything other than BMC or the usual suspects of 'lite' biers. The worst part is that people don't know they're ignorant. For instance I know very little about the paper bag making industry! But I know I have very little knowledge about the subject. Conversly if I think I know a lot about the paper bag making industry when I actually don't... well then I'd probably get into the area of making a fool out of myself. Sadly that is where most people reside in most states... that is to say in an ignorant state of mind when it comes to things alcohol related.

The skinny on MS situation is that RYP, Raise Your Pints, is undertaking an effort to get the abw limit increased in our state. They've chosen to set aside seeking HB legislation for now. They're currently raising money to hire lobbyist. Sad but true... where would the world be without lawyers turned politicians turned lobbyist.... sigh. Sadly the last I heard was that RYP was only asking for raise of the abw to 8%. Translation about 10% abv. (in fairness the 8% goal may have been increased due to a recent re-organization & new approach at RYP)

Schlante,
Phillip

Ps Good ole MS, last in the nation... again! I think I'll lobby our legislature to change the state motto to, "Mississippi, we're first at being last"!

Haha. In Alabama we like to say that as bad as things are here, we can always be proud to be #49 in everything - just ahead of Mississippi!

But seriously, I do hope you guys are able to get your laws passed as well. I'm sure the FreeTheHops people would be more than happy to share insights and lessons learned with your group. Also, maybe you'll have plenty of pertinent statistics to share with your legislature based on how things go in Alabama over the next 6 months. I'm sure the state government will be especially interested to see how much additional money is collected in alcohol taxes!

Latest posts

Back