Do I have a problem

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Redogus

Reaction score
Evening folks, got a quick question, I've been making kombucha now for about a year " with no issues " I might add. Until now , the last 2-3 batches I've made it seems my mother does not fully rise to the surface. a new scoby forms just fine and everything looks and tastes ok is there something I could be doing wrong ? I just bring 3 qts of water to a boils , stir in one cup of sugar add 6 tea bags and let cool , pour into my gal jar , add 1-2 cups of the previous batch alng with the mother . Any feedback will be appreciated thank you , Ed .

If you're stripping away the old yeast on the bottom that could weight it down, periodically cleaning the vessel, and you have a culture that is still producing I wouldn't be too worried.

The yeast produces CO2, which helps it rise up in the container, but I've also had some brews where the mother sank and didn't come back up. Sometimes it's a matter of ensuring a stable higher temperature for the first couple days of brewing.

If it keeps up and temperature isn't an issue you could purchase and use a bottle of raw kombucha as starter and see if that makes a difference. I like to do that every now and again to keep an interesting colony.

thanks Jamba . I do clean my vessel about every 2-3 batches , but thinking about it the temp my be the culprit. I keep it on the counter next to the fridge but temps here in the house are pretty low in the middle of the night. Maybe thats it, may look into a heating pad.

thank you

Back