whats going on with my brew?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elmiguel

Reaction score
Hello all, I have a coopers wheat+1.5 LME wheat+0.5 DME light fermenting for 10 days and I have a couple of questions

1- I have noticed that the colour which was getting lighter at the beginning (in the fermentor) got a lot darker in the last 3 days. Strange because it looks darker on the fermentor but a lot clearer in the glass with the proper wheat colour...what can create this difference? it is a transparent coopers fermentor so it should be the same.

2-There is not a bad flavour but I tasted it already and there is no wheat flavour at all ...maybe very very thin...what can cause this? too much malt? Will it get better once it gets longer in the fermentor or later in the bottle?

I am a bit worried that it is ruined or will get a beer with no wheat taste :(

Thanks
Miguel

1. The yeast and sediment lightens the color of the beer in the fermenter. As it settles, the top portion starts to appear darker. The beer also looks darker in the fermenter because you are looking through more beer.

2. It could still be young, or, you are brewing a beer that is light in flavor. At any rate, let it sit for a couple more weeks and try again. It will change quite a bit after it gets some carbonation too.

I'd say just relax and give it some more time. The color is always going to look darker or off when its sitting in the primary because you are looking at 5+ gallons of a liquid versus 16oz in a glass. Its just how it works. I am sure there is a more scientific explanation to it, but its no different than say looking at a 2 liter bottle of dark soda and then pouring it in a glass. In the bottle, it looks black, in the glass, its brown.

I wouldn't worry about the flavor either. You just need to give it more time. Let the beer finish fermenting and clearing up. You still have a long way to go between letting it complete fermenting where it is now, conditioning in the bottle at room temp for a few weeks, and then cold conditioning in the fridge.

I am sure you made an excellent beer, it just needs time to finish the process.

Hi agan, so one week passed and nothing really happened.

When I open the fermentor the colour is still quite dark (almost like red wine) but clearer in the glass...wheat beer colour.

The taste is very light....cannot taste any wheat there...its been more than two weeks in the fermentor .....

I have visitors coming soon so I will need to bottle it....or throw it...I am wondering what to do because of this tasteless beer.....

I think the lack of carbonation is causing the weak flavor. Bottle it up and give it a couple weeks and try it again.

Throwing away beer because it does not look right is paramount to alcohol abuse :) Just chill and let the ber do what it is gonna do. Darken, lighten...whatever. If the beer tastes good, then drink it. Unless you are going to enter your beer into a contest don't sweat the color etc. I have brewed up beers that totally did not do what I expected, but the end result was that we had good beer.

Also, quit opening your fermenter. You will pull in O2 which will spoil your beer. Remember this: set it and forget it! Enjoy!

Back