Dry Hop with Citra or Centennial?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BuddyWeiser

Reaction score
Hi All! I'm doing my first APA for my next brew. I have 2 oz of Centennial, 1 oz of Citra, and 1/4 oz of Northern Brewer (left over from last time). I'm not huge into hops, but I want this beer to have at least some hip-hoppity-pop! :fro:

My hop schedule:
1/4 oz NB @ 60 min
1 oz Centennial & ½ oz Citra @ 15 min
½ oz Centennial @ 5 min
and ½ oz Centennial & ½ oz Citra dry hop after fermentation completes.

Is there any reason to revise my hop additions? Or something I should consider as both a hop noob and an IPA/APA noob?

All Centinnial makes an awesome beer. Ever had Bell's Two Hearted?

My first all grain and second brew was an all centennial 2 hearted clone. It has garnered extremely positive reviews from hop heads and non-IPA drinkers alike. I personally love it:rockin:

What if I already bought the hops? :eek: Are you guys suggesting that Citra should be left out? I've never used it, but figured the description made it sound like a good choice for IPAs.

Nah, I regularly make an iPA that has a blend of hops, including Citra and Centennial. It's great.

Citra has a funky punch that some people don't like (I happen to like it, though) if you're not familiar with it, then maybe make your later additions 1/3 Citra and 2/3 Centennial instead of putting the Cotra all into the dry hop? That way you'll get the flavor/aroma from the Citra without it being front-and-center.

Oh, and maybe take the hops youre adding at 20 and add those to the later additions do you're only doing a 60, 15, 5 and DH?

Citra has a funky punch that some people don't like (I happen to like it, though)

This is encouraging! My plan is to use WLP500 (Belgium Trappist), ferment around 70 deg, and call it "We Want the Funk IPA". :D

Thanks everyone for all the help! I'm gonna edit the OP to show the additions I am now planning.

Hi All! I'm doing my first IPA for my next brew. I have 2 oz of Centennial, 1 oz of Citra, and 1/4 oz of Northern Brewer (left over from last time). I'm not huge into hops, but I want this beer to have at least some hip-hoppity-pop! :fro:

My hop schedule:
1/4 oz NB @ 60 min
1 oz Centennial & ½ oz Citra @ 15 min
½ oz Centennial @ 5 min
and ½ oz Centennial & ½ oz Citra dry hop after fermentation completes.

Is there any reason to revise my hop additions? Or something I should consider as both a hop noob and an IPA noob?

Personally it looks like you have more of an APA with the IBU's you will be getting. My thoughts are to add your dry hop centennial at 60 and Citra at 5 min.

This should give you a litte more IBU balance and with the 5 min Citra, you should get a nice blast of citrusy hop without overpowering the rest of the beer.

Don't get me wrong, the recipe looks good as is but if you want an IPA I am thinking a little more bitterness!

Just my thoughts

I just had to look up APA in the wiki. I think I'll just call it an APA since the description of that style is more to my liking. Thanks Kevin!

Back