Yeast starter for small batches

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BadKarma

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Here's a curve ball for y'all.

I've decided that brewing smaller batches (2.5 gal) will be more economical in my search for those recipes that I like. I blame Chris from BYO for giving me this curse :p

My question is: How can I give my yeast the best start? I understand re hydrating dry yeast, but what to do about liquid yeast has me stumped. There has got to be a way to give the yeast a leg up on these smaller batches.

Thanks everyone for supporting me in this time of getting back into this life style. :mug:

Make your starter earlier and let it settle. Pour off the 'starter fluid', add some cooled wort and mix well, pitch.

i would think that with the liquids there would no need for a starter. They are usually recommended for 5 gallon batches.

I haven't read the BYO article on small batches, but it sounds like the idea is cheaper batches allows for more experimentation to find and/or fine tune what you like.
Why not find 2 recipies that use the same yeast, make a normal starter and split it. You can put the half you don't pitch in the fridge until you brew that yeast's "sister batch".

Barley-Davidson said:
I haven't read the BYO article on small batches, but it sounds like the idea is cheaper batches allows for more experimentation to find and/or fine tune what you like.
Why not find 2 recipies that use the same yeast, make a normal starter and split it. You can put the half you don't pitch in the fridge until you brew that yeast's "sister batch".

This is a good idea. Yeast will be good in the fridge for quite a while.

Barley-Davidson said:

That is a great idea, thanks bro. About how long would the yeast be good for in the fridge?

Blender, thats what Chris said in the article.

Thanks everyone.

Lee

BadKarma said:
That is a great idea, thanks bro. About how long would the yeast be good for in the fridge?

I think it can stay in the fridge for a while, but if it's more than a week you might want to make a new starter.

I'm sure someone with more experience with this can give you a more precise answer.

Don't overlook Yeast as an ingredient! I myself would make 5 gallons and ferment 2.5 with one yeast, 2.5 with another! It really does make a difference, but to address the original question: I would use .5 gallon of water and 1/2 lb of dme or whatever you are using, combined with the yeast. I would just let it go 6 hours or so and then brew. Too much yeast is better than not enough, but you don't want to overdo it. And spring for the liquid yeast, I prefer whitelabs.

Thanks cheezy. I have always used liquid yeast and I have used both brands. I don't lean one way or the other. I'll use whichever one would seem to hit what I'm lookin for. And you also have a great idea with splitting a 5 gal batch.

Maybe I should clarify a bit. I use 1/2 gal starters for my 5 gal batches, I'm wondering if I can do the same thing for my small batches on a smaller scale. Both White Labs and Wyeast recommend starters to give the yeast a jumpstart. I want to do the same for my small runs.

I did ask in my email to Wyeast about the Propagator packs, since they are smaller than the big XL's. It seems to me that they would be perfect for a pint starter. If this is the case, I can "can" a batch of wort in pints (or quarts) and Bob's your uncle!!!!

Then again, maybe I'm barking up the wrong tree. Wouldn't be the first time.

You are thinking, that is more than a lot of people do. I do think that you are making it too complicated though. A starter is not some sort of jump starting mechanism. It is, plain and simple, a way to let the yeast multiply to sufficient numbers before unleashing them on a wort. If you are brewing a small batch, a vial may hold enough already. Warming it to room temp is probably going to produce as much benefit as making a small starter.

cheezydemon said:
You are thinking, that is more than a lot of people do. I do think that you are making it too complicated though. A starter is not some sort of jump starting mechanism. It is, plain and simple, a way to let the yeast multiply to sufficient numbers before unleashing them on a wort. If you are brewing a small batch, a vial may hold enough already. Warming it to room temp is probably going to produce as much benefit as making a small starter.

Point taken. I do tend to try and over think things.:mug: :tank:

I got a reply from White Labs. They stated that using a 1-2 pint starter, as outlined on their website, would be fine for 2.5 gal batches.

Still waiting for Wyeast.

Back