What's more depressed than the average Irish Pub?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fastricky

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Man, talk about you've seen one you've seen 'em all. Same friggin' crap beer on tap at every one of them. Here in NYC there are about a million of them and everytime I walk into one (because there is no craft beer pub in the area) I'm immediately depressed by the same tired old atmosphere and even worse selection of Bud/Bud Light/Smithwicks/Stella/Guiness/Harp/Blue Moon on tap.

Same thing down south, partner. I believe we've entered into a genre of Irish Bars. The bar down the street is actually owned by 2 Irish-born brothers and they have added Woodchuck and 1 local brewery's Golden Ale. Selection sucks but the girls are hot.
-Jeff "always on the bright side" Lowder-

Oh we have another "irish pub" in Memphis and Nashville with a truly original name....wait for it....Dan McGuinness!!! **** you not!

I have a McNellie's just down the street and it is an Irish pub done right. So I cant complain.

I just could not resist...:mug:

Anyways, If you do not like Irish beer/atmosphere, why go into the place? GG Stop off and buy a 6er of what ya like and quityerbitchin...or RDWHAHB.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah the Scotch selection is great.

I like to go up to the 3rd floor put the menu on the dart board and let fate choose my next beer.

Im sure some of the problem is with the distribution system. If the distributor doesnt get it, the bars dont get it. There might be a solution if one were to import one's own but Im not sure if anyone does that or if its even legal.
-Jefe-

The problem is with the publicans that aren't savvy enough/too lazy to order good beer and just go with the standard crap the distributor pushes on them (and makes the biggest margins on).

Let's see now...what's more depressing than the average Irish pub?? Every last mother's son of you missed it completely! IT'S AN EMPTY FERMENTER & WALLET!

+1 on McNellies. Nice way to spend a Sunday afternoon.

There's a place near me called Murphy's Law and they have plenty of microbrews from the Phoenix area. It's nothing like the place w/ 350 brews, but this place is also pretty small.

link

Man, talk about you've seen one you've seen 'em all. Same friggin' crap beer on tap at every one of them. Here in NYC there are about a million of them and everytime I walk into one (because there is no craft beer pub in the area) I'm immediately depressed by the same tired old atmosphere and even worse selection of Bud/Bud Light/Smithwicks/Stella/Guiness/Harp/Blue Moon on tap.

What part of NYC can you not find a craft beer bar?

http://rattlenhumbarnyc.com/beer.php

Both Irish and craft beer pub.

Yep, we were in Ireland in august and most didnt have anything more than guiness, murphy, smithwick, and bud. Sad thing was all the young irish kids were drinking bud.

But there are plenty of great pubs in Ireland that serve a nice selection of hand-pulled. Next time you go you should check out the CAMRA guide.

But there are plenty of great pubs in Ireland that serve a nice selection of hand-pulled. Next time you go you should check out the CAMRA guide.

Oh I did find some, but a majority of the pubs only have Guiness brands, or InBev (Bud).

Although it looks like the beer selection looks as bad as you mention, with these Tilted Kilt girls waiting on you, it doesn't appear that it matters here.

1129_store_pic_sDeLQ2.jpg

tk_two_rr_gals1.jpg

kilt2.jpg

g32025800000000000009eaf9e387d4afcba960b4a55390b3361764df91.jpg

n839242071_1164619_6530-copy.jpg

I thought this thread needed some cheering up.

The Tilted Kilt used to be WAY better. Over the past couple of years their food has just gotten "meh". The beer is overpriced as well.

We've got the Brocach here in Madison. Awesome tap and bottle selection, good happy hour deals, good food, nice place. It's an exception in a lot of ways but it's a step in the right direction.

Back