Making a gluten free beer-need GF yeast...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

telebrewer

Reaction score
I trying to make a decent gluten free beer for my wife. I'm going to use sorgum extract and some other grains. But what I need is a gluten free yeast so I'm sure the whole beer is gluten free.

Anyone know of a gluten free yeast I could use? Thanks...

With my wife being a Celiac, we have found that many companies list the allergens on their website. What I have noticed on here is that there are yeast that are GF, but I would go the specific website.

Here is the Wyeast Labs page on GF yeasts they offer: Link

Here is White Labs response

Is your yeast gluten free?
Thank you for your inquiry. Our yeast is low in gluten and is below the European standard for being labeled as gluten free; the American standards are still being developed. The European standard for gluten free is below 20 ppm. Our yeast analysis:

Yeast slurry in package: 12 ppm

When our yeast is used with ingredients such as sorghum to make gluten free beer: 2 ppm

Hope this helps.

I think all dry yeast is gluten free, but I remember reading something about yeast being able to make its own gluten if kept reused for more than a few generations. Ill look for a link to where I found this info, but it may have been basic brewing radio http://basicbrewing.com/

I know all danstar dry yeasts are GF (nottingham etc.) as well as the Fermentis dry yeasts (I am using Safale US-05 right now in a GF sorghum brew). So are you Celiac then?

I trying to make a decent gluten free beer for my wife. I'm going to use sorgum extract and some other grains. But what I need is a gluten free yeast so I'm sure the whole beer is gluten free.

Ehem, re-read your post. So is your wife Celiac then?

I'm not Celiac, my wife is. She sees me brewing all this good beer and wants some.

So from what I've gotten back from the responses, White Labs seems to be O.K. If it is below the European standard for gluten free. That's good news because I mostly WPL-001 California yeast for my brews.

I've never used dry yeast. Do you just pour it in after you aeriate the wort?

some people rehydrate their dry yeast as per instructions on package some people just sprinkle in on the wort. I think aeration isnt supposed to be necessary if pitching a proper amount of dry yeast. the way dry yeast is processed I think its supposed to have enough of the chemical it needs oxygen to synthesize, so that it doesnt need oxygen in the wort.

With my wife being a Celiac, we have found that many companies list the allergens on their website. What I have noticed on here is that there are yeast that are GF, but I would go the specific website.

Here is the Wyeast Labs page on GF yeasts they offer: Link

Here is White Labs response

Hope this helps.

Dezul, the link above from Brew-Happy is to the wyeast labs sight and tells about a couple exclusively gluten free strains they have, so thats what I would go for if I were to go that route. Otherwise I would use a dry yeast from danstar or fermentis, you can just sprinkle over the top, thats what I have in my primary right now.

Yep...resurrecting an old thread. Just emailed Wyeast to see if they had anything gluten free. I was mainly looking at their Mead yeasts. Here's what I got:

Logan, Unfortunately, none of our yeast products are gluten free. The mediawhich we propagate the yeast in contains about 120 ppm gluten prior tofermentation. At this time we do not offer the 1272GF or 2124GF. Please let me know if you have further questions.

Jess Caudill
Brewer/Microbiologist
Wyeast Laboratories
(541) 354-1335

:(

I remember reading something about yeast being able to make its own gluten if kept reused for more than a few generations.

How could yeast make a plant protein? Gluten comes from the media you grow the yeast in -- the yeast don't make it themselves.

I started brewing GF beer with chestnut chip 8-9 years ago. Lallemends yeast are propagated on potato starch base and not on grain media. They will even give you a GF certification. Good luck.

leeinwa Trails End Chestnuts

Back