Cleaning Detergents

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michael_Currie

Reaction score
What kind of cleaning agents does everyone use?

I had a few brew's go bad recently. Not sure what I missed or if it was even related but not sure how to explain it.

Michael_Currie said:
What kind of cleaning agents does everyone use?

I had a few brew's go bad recently. Not sure what I missed or if it was even related but not sure how to explain it.

I use plain Dove dishwashing detergent for the washing and I use Clorox oximagic or one step for sanitizing (both are no rinse). I have had no problems with sanitation yet. A ton of people are going to tell you not to do what I do, but I have had no issues.

Michael_Currie said:
Can I find this at like Wal-Mart and such? What is the brand name of it.

One Step is available at a number of online shops, but it is pretty expensive and comes in very small amounts (I have only found individual packets actually). I have found in my research of oxygen bleaches, I believe that Clorox Oxi Magic and One Step are the same thing. I have used it in the same manner as One Step with equal results and no infections. Oxi Magic is also available just about anywhere. I would avoid Oxiclean if it has that blue stuff in it...that can cause a residue from what I have read.

I like to use regular dishwashing liquid for most things. For cleaning my recirculation system, I like to use Powdered Brewery Wash (PBW). I then rinse thoroughly and follow up with a short Iodophor soak to sanitize. It works great and I have never had a batch ruined by infection.

I use dishwashing detergent to clean all of my equipment. To sanitize I used to use One Step, which works great, but can react with copper tubing if you need to sanitize a counterflow wort chiller. So I switched to Iodiphor. It is cheaper than one step and can be purchased in large amounts. The food industry has been using Iodiphor for many years as a food grade sanitizer. You just add one ounce per 5 gallons of water, soak your equipment or fermenter and allow to air dry for a few minutes. If you do not let it dry then some say it may impart an off flavor, but I have never had a problem. If your copper tubing starts turning green then run distilled white vinegar through it an let soak overnight. You can also boil any materials that will not melt for 15 minutes. The most importany thing is to not let your sanitized equipment come in contact with any unclean surface.

Oxyclean free is def not a no rinse cleaner. It leaves a residue & must be rinsed like any other cleaner. Cleaners are generally not "no rinse". I'd also be wary od anything containing bleach as being "no rinse". If you can smell bleach after dumping it,it's still in there/on the surface.
I prefer PBW to clean with. In the right dilution,it'll clean just about anything. 1.5oz per gallon of water. And you can't beat Starsan for the best no rinse sanitizer. It's being a wet sanitizer negates any waiting for it to dry.

I wouldn't use One step as a sanitizer. I would go with something like Starsan of Idophor. You can mix Starsan with distilled water and put it in a spray bottle. You just need to cover the surface with the solution to sanitize(provided you started with a clean surface). One bottle will last a very long time.

This thread is almost 10 years old. I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest that Michael Currie is no longer seeking advice on cleaning agents.

This thread is almost 10 years old. I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest that Michael Currie is no longer seeking advice on cleaning agents.

I'm finding this useful. I'm about to run out of cleaner and was going to start researching for better/cheaper options

Back