Is this part of fermentation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gobelin

Reaction score
Hi,

first post here... although I've been reading this forum for a while now.

I have a question concerning fermentation... and possibly infection. I just tried for the first one of wyeast's smack pack (french saison) and I noticed that fermentation was much more sustained than with what I used before (dry yeasts) and I'm on track to reach my final target gravity. It's been in the primary for seven days now and fermentation has slowed down considerably. I noticed however big bubbles and some floaties at the surface (see picture), something I've never noticed with the other dry yeasts I used in the past.

So my question is: is this typical a fermentation product (maybe the strain I'm using) or a sign of infection? Beer smells fine.. haven't tasted it yet though.

If it's infection, is there a point in scooping this stuff out?

Any advice is appreciated!

Thanks

IMAG0277.jpg

Thanks for the replies!

I have been seeing fruit flies in the apartment lately and I was worried they could have fallen in and infected it all... Glad to hear this seems normal to you all!

Back