Irish Red Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boondocksaint

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I just ordered Midwest's Irish Red kit and had a quick question.

Anyone here brewed this kit yet? Thoughts?

Honestly, what I'm looking for is a good malty red with a bit of hops to balance it out. Ultimately, what I'd love to clone is Alewerks (formerly Williamsburg Alewerks) Red Marker Ale. (Sorry, I know that's pretty regional, but hoping someone here might have had it!)

So, keeping the Midwest Irish Red kit in mind, is there a need to add any hops in addition to what the kit comes with (1 oz Cascade & 1 oz Fuggle)

Thanks in advance. Cheers! :mug:

I've brewed that kit and I like it. In fact I like it well enough to do an all grain version of it. Brew it as it is this time. If you'd like it different next time you can make a few changes. If you do make a change, I'd recommend you only choose one item to change so it doesn't get to be a muddled mess.

Good point RM-MN, I do tend to fiddle with recipes. I like the idea of only adjusting one component at at time so you can better determine what works, etc.

Thanks for the input!

I dont see the need to add extra hops per say, especially at 2 oz for an Irish Red (depending on hops schedule of course) But I only use EKG's in my Irish Red (1.25 oz at 60 min for a 5 gal batch) Just a thought for you if you want to mix it up some time.... +1 on on small changes...Prost!

Back