Witbier Hoemaade Hoegaarden

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Unibrow,I'm getting ready to make this per your recipe but I have a question.The "3 LB of light wheat DME" in your begin broiling section is of any particular brand? Also this was not listed on the grain ingredients or is the light wheat DME totally separate? Thanks for the recipe and any help,can't wait to get this started.

I think the brand was Briess. Wheat DME with 65% wheat and 35% regular malt extract. It's listed separate from the grains because its an extract addition, thus you'll be doing a partial mash. Good questions! And good luck on the brew

Thank you for the quick response! Ordering supplies today, my basement is averaging 62-66 degrees F so its good for fermentation.

I'm about to brew this up as well... it's just wheat dme you used then, not light wheat dme? I'm finding that light wheat dme does not exist?

I'm about to brew this up as well... it's just wheat dme you used then, not light wheat dme? I'm finding that light wheat dme does not exist?

This is the stuff I used

0000981_briess_wheat_dme.jpeg

What do you think about using the leftover wheat dme for priming? could it use more body or will it be like drinking a beer smoothie

I've read on here that you can use DME for priming, but I've never tried it. It probably wont make too much of a difference

I brewed this recipe on Sunday and as of this morning(Tuesday) the double air lock isn't bubbling put shows signs of pressure because the water levels are about a half inch apart. Is my wort under aerated?

I brewed this recipe on Sunday and as of this morning(Tuesday) the double air lock isn't bubbling put shows signs of pressure because the water levels are about a half inch apart. Is my wort under aerated?

Don't trust the airlock...are you using a carboy or a bucket? If its a bucket, quickly open the lid and check to see if you have foam, krausen or bubbles. If you see that, it's fermenting fine. Sometimes wlp 400 can produce thick krausen which doesn't allow the CO2 to escape.

And check your gravity. If its changing its all good...

And to second Unibrows comment, I ferment in buckets and haven't had a good bubbling airlock in a year. But gravity keeps changing and beer keeps a-making...

Looked under my bucket lid and seen krausen,smells good too. Other than taking gravity samples, is it safe to say as long as there's krausen everything is ok? Should I aerate it (with O2 from a bottle tubing and diffuser stone-all sanitized)to be safe?

OK,bought a hydrometer and got a reading of 1.032 on Tue. evening (brewed Sun. afternoon), too bad I couldn't read the OG from the start.

ok,mine is in the corny keg getting carbonated. Can anyone tell me what my alcohol content is? I first brewed 2 sundays ago but didnt have a hydrometer till tuesday. My "og" on tuesday was 1.035 @63 degrees and my fg was 1.012 @72 degrees. I know this isn't actual alcohol but rather a minimum. Thanks.

ok,mine is in the corny keg getting carbonated. Can anyone tell me what my alcohol content is? I first brewed 2 sundays ago but didnt have a hydrometer till tuesday. My "og" on tuesday was 1.035 @63 degrees and my fg was 1.012 @72 degrees. I know this isn't actual alcohol but rather a minimum. Thanks.

If you followed the original recipe your abv should be close to 5%

The reading you took on Tuesday wasn't an accurate OG number since it had been fermenting a bit.

Thanks,poured a glass(still needs to be carbonated more) and found still cloudy which i think time will clear up a bit,good smelling beer. I followed the recipe exactly but replaced 1 lemon zest for 1 orange. So far it tastes a little like a Hoegaarden/Bluemoon mix. Thank you for sharing.

Thanks,poured a glass(still needs to be carbonated more) and found still cloudy which i think time will clear up a bit,good smelling beer. I followed the recipe exactly but replaced 1 lemon zest for 1 orange. So far it tastes a little like a Hoegaarden/Bluemoon mix. Thank you for sharing.

Right on!

Just brewed my second batch! The first batch was so good that several gallons went missing from the keg under mysterious circumstances...

Back