Baked goods from spent grain?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JDFlow

Reaction score
Anyone have any good recipes to make baked goods with spent grain? I found a recipe for dog treats. My girlfriends dog could eat them, but they only take 4 cups of spent grain. Any other recipes out there to use the rest. I was thinking maybe oatmeal cookies with grain substituted for the oatmeal, or granola bars.

google search spent grain breads or search tis site. I have made it several times with recipes from here and it is REALLY good.

It's unlikely that you'll be able to use "the rest of it", unless you dry it and grind it down to flour. 6-12lbs of grain for a typical batch of beer is a lot to chew through.

That said, there are a lot of recipes out there. I've made crackers and bread on several occasions, and added it to pizza dough. My rule of thumb is to replace whole or cracked grains in a recipe with spent grain in equal measure, and then reduce the liquid in the recipe slightly to account for the moisture in the spent grain.

My wife just made a "whole wheat" type bread from my specialty grains from todays brew. it takes a while (unless you're used to making bread, then you're used to it)

She found the receipt on the AHA website, but don't know which one. if you have the ability to grind it into flour, that'd be a great use, as we only used 2 cups for 3 loaves of bread :)

I froze a bunch at 2 cups per freezer bag...works fine for bread.. I made some that I added cinnamon and sugar to.....it was very good.

1 cup fresh spent grain (wet is fine)..I use grains from dark beers.
3 cups of high gluten (bread) flour
1 tsp salt
2 tsp instant dry yeast
Mix with enough lukewarm wort to make a stiff dough(it's going to be somewhat sticky so use enough bench flour).

Let it rise for 1-2 hours then knead it into a rough loaf shape. Put on corn meal on a baking sheet, cover and proof for about 2 hours.. It won't rise like regular bread dough but it will grow a decent amount if you are patient.

Bake at about 375 till done (hollow sound and nice dark brown color).

It has no preservatives so enjoy it while it's fresh.

The above amounts are estimates, since I do this type of baking by feel..LOL.

EXPERIMENT AWAY.. It's only bread.

bosco

When dealing with bread baking it is a little like brewing. Patience is important especially when baking with whole grains rather than just bread flour. It takes longer for doughs to proof or rise when grains are used.

bosco

If this doesn't work out we'll probably just make a ton of dog treats and donate them to animal shelters.[/QUOTE said:
Excelent idea, The HUmane Society needs all the help it can get. Feeding the animals is what drives the euthanization number. The more they feed, the less they have to kill. I have a freind who works at a shelter, and hates Tuesday because that is euthanizing day. It is heartbreaking to see all those puppies, dogs and cats have to end that way. Thanks for a great idea to support a very worthy cause.
WCB

I made a spent grain bread recipe that I found on this site, but any bread with a starter works well if you throw in a cup or two of spent grain. I generally use a poolish starter for whole grain breads since it makes the bread a little lighter, but it does add a day to the prep time. I almost never dry it..... Just make bread the same day or store in the fridge for a couple of days. If you grab a copy of Peter reinhardt's "bread bakers apprentice", I would recommend that as a fine addition to your library.

Excelent idea, The HUmane Society needs all the help it can get. Feeding the animals is what drives the euthanization number. The more they feed, the less they have to kill. I have a freind who works at a shelter, and hates Tuesday because that is euthanizing day. It is heartbreaking to see all those puppies, dogs and cats have to end that way. Thanks for a great idea to support a very worthy cause.
WCB

Yeah, animal shelters have lost a lot of funding since the beginning of the economy crash. The real problem isn't the funding though. It's the irresponsible asses that shouldn't have pets and dont see any real value in their lives. It's amazing how people just leave pets behind when they move and stuff like that. What's wrong with people?

It still surprises me to see how many people really feel like that JD. I found a recipe that I think someone else on here posted a link to a while ago. I made them spur of the moment with what I had around. I didn't have any chocolate chips so I substituted caramel in its place. I also used shaved almonds for the nuts. I think any nuts you like would work though. If you want them to be more cookie like make sure you pat them out ~1/4" thick, if you make them thicker they will be kind of biscuit like. I liked them both ways, but just a heads up. They lasted about a week in a zip lock back on the fridge. They might keep longer but they usually don't lay around for that long.

Nutty Spent Grain Chocolate Chip Cookies
Adapted from a recipe featured by Seven Bridges Cooperative.
1/3 cup peanut butter
2 tbsp melted butter
1 cup sugar
1/3 cup milk
1 tsp vanilla
1.5 cups spent grains (or alternatively, 1.5 cups of your favourite grain meal, prepared and still wet)
2 cups whole wheat flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup chocolate chips
1/2 cup chopped nuts
Mix in the peanut butter, regular butter, sugar, milk and vanilla. Then add the flour, baking soda and salt. Once that’s all mixed, stir in the nuts and chips.
Bake on a greased cookie sheet at 425F for 8-10 minutes until the tops are just getting golden, but before the bottoms burn. Let sit on the pan for about five minutes before transferring to wire rack to cool. Serve with love.
Makes about 2 dozen cookies after batter sampling.

Yes.. bread and dog biscuts.. I typically dry mine and grind it to a powder in the Vita-Mix.. works fine. I will be trying some that is not so finely ground the next time I make bread.

Oven in winter and cheese cloth draped baking sheets in the summer... just to keep the flys and the bees off of it. Even after drying, I have some clumps.. so it still goes in the VM. However, I haven't tried using grains w/o powdering.. I probably should. Probably provide a bit more scouring action for us fiber deprived 'mericans.

This probably won't even require drying. I have to put liquid in my bread anyhow, so.. I'd guess it should be eezy peezy to put half cup of spent grain in the VM and blend it pretty well.. then into the recipe. I typically don't consider the spent grains as part of the recipe.. I don't think they do more than provide 'filler'... possibly a bit of residual sugar.. but not much.

1 cup fresh spent grain (wet is fine)..I use grains from dark beers.
3 cups of high gluten (bread) flour
1 tsp salt
2 tsp instant dry yeast
Mix with enough lukewarm wort to make a stiff dough(it's going to be somewhat sticky so use enough bench flour).

Let it rise for 1-2 hours then knead it into a rough loaf shape. Put on corn meal on a baking sheet, cover and proof for about 2 hours.. It won't rise like regular bread dough but it will grow a decent amount if you are patient.

Bake at about 375 till done (hollow sound and nice dark brown color).

It has no preservatives so enjoy it while it's fresh.

The above amounts are estimates, since I do this type of baking by feel..LOL.

EXPERIMENT AWAY.. It's only bread.

bosco

As soon as my girlfriend saw this recipe she suggested using beer instead of wort. Apparently if you use beer the carbonation will help it rise faster.

Good thought. For breads you should give it time for the gluten to develop. More gluten = more chew, less gluten = more crumb (more cake-like).

Experiment and have fun... Baking and brewing, the end results go together very well..:)

bosco

Back