Wyeast 3711 vs 3726

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Anybody used both of these and can compare them?

I was thinking of doing something along the lines of NB's saison de noel. I have a pack of 3711 and I was really satisfied with how well it performed in a previous beer. Curious if picking up the 3726 would be worth it or just stick with the 3711. Thanks.

Beware that if you use 3726, it will likely ferment quickly to ~1.030-1.035 then stall completely. It took me four weeks with a heat wrap on my carboy set at 85F to ferment out. Next time I make a saison, I'll be using 3711 just for the ease of it. I hear it's a VERY foolproof strain.

I've used both strains quite a lot - and IMO they are very different from each other in their flavor profiles. 3711 has a lot more citrus/fruits while I consider 3726 to have more of a balanced saison flavor with a lot more spicy/phenols thrown in the mix.

It is true that the 3726 strain is very finicky, but if you can get it 85f + it should ferment out in no time, and attenuate well (but not as much as the 3711). So, if you have the means of holding a ferm temp high enough, I would def give 3726 a shot - it has an amazing flavor profile.

A strain that I've fallen in love with is the 3725 - though its packaged as a biere de garde strain it's actually the Fantome strain - it has a great fruitiness and allows the malts/hops to really come through as well. Plus, it attenuates like a beast similar to 3711.

I've used both strains quite a lot - and IMO they are very different from each other in their flavor profiles. 3711 has a lot more citrus/fruits while I consider 3726 to have more of a balanced saison flavor with a lot more spicy/phenols thrown in the mix.

It is true that the 3726 strain is very finicky, but if you can get it 85f + it should ferment out in no time, and attenuate well (but not as much as the 3711). So, if you have the means of holding a ferm temp high enough, I would def give 3726 a shot - it has an amazing flavor profile.

A strain that I've fallen in love with is the 3725 - though its packaged as a biere de garde strain it's actually the Fantome strain - it has a great fruitiness and allows the malts/hops to really come through as well. Plus, it attenuates like a beast similar to 3711.

Completely agree

3726 ferments fine if you can keep it warm, and has a much better flavor profile than 3711 in my opinion. I find 3711 to be pretty boring. Never tried 3725, but you've inspired me now!

I agree with what other have said stating that Wyeast 3724 is the more balanced of the two. I have to pitch at 85-deg and ferment at 92-deg to get 3724 to ferment in 3-4 weeks. Comparitviely, I get more pear-like flavors from 3711 compared to the cirtrus/orange flavors of 3724 but here's the kicker... I find 3711 takes on different aroma when you bottle it. I've fored carbed and then counter-pressure filled with both yeast and 3711 seems to a take on a musty, funky, peppery, is it cheese or cat pee-like aroma over time. I've confirmed this by tasting 8 Wired's Saison Sauvin which also used 3711.

Are you talking 3724 or 3726? It was my understanding that 3726 has a flavor similar to 3724 without the stuck or long fermentations.

Latest posts

Back