Knockout Punch sharing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jtkratzer

HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm in the midst of converting a Sabco Brew Magic to electric and I have several holes to cut in the kegs for various couplings, tri-clover ferrules, etc and it seems one method of getting these holes cut in a clean fashion without making hole saws disposable is by using knockout punches.

I have one set, a conduit set, 7238BB and that goes from 1/2" to 2" for conduit. I'm looking to get a 39860 set which makes standard holes from 3/4" to 1.5".

With the money invested in these, I'm wondering if anyone on the forum would be willing to throw me a few bucks plus shipping to borrow the sets. They should fit in a $10.95 Priority Flat Rate box.

I have 6 holes to cut into my kegs and at nearly $285 for the set of standard punches, $47.50/hole is pretty steep. I also need to cut the holes in my enclosure for the switches.

If you're interested in borrowing a set for like $30 shipped, post here and if I get enough of a response, I'll probably buy the other set. If not, I'll call a few shops to see if they'll do the work for me.

I'm thinking we could get a list going and send it from member to member in order of the list. First person paypals me $30 and the kit is shipped. When finished, the next person on the list paypals the shipping funds to the person who has the kit and paypals me the other $19. If you only need or two punch sizes, we can work that out.

Maybe I'm setting myself up for failure with lost/destroyed tools, I just figured we could help each other out as I don't have much use for these tools once I'm done with my e-Brew Magic build.

Let me know.

I'd be down with this. I'm getting ready to build an electric system and I need to punch holes. $30 sounds like a deal, and like you, I don't need the tools after I'm done.

I'm not sure there's going to be a huge response though, since the huge majority of people here already have a brewing system, and aren't imminently contemplating building a new one.

Are the harbor freight sets decent? I've it two bayou classic kettles coming my way to start my electric build. Might be the route I take.

Are the harbor freight sets decent? I've it two bayou classic kettles coming my way to start my electric build. Might be the route I take.

I don't mind if the response isn't immediate or the need to use them isn't right away, I'm just not looking to dump hundreds of dollars into tools I use once and then share with 6 people on the forum over 5 years.

I'm going to call around to check with shops for a idea on what the work will cost.

The Harbor Freight punch set is perfectly adequate. It won't last hundreds of holes like a Greenlee set, but we probably won't make that many holes in our hobby. Get the HF set! My HF set has performed very well

The Harbor Freight punch set is perfectly adequate. It won't last hundreds of holes like a Greenlee set, but we probably won't make that many holes in our hobby. Get the HF set! My HF set has performed very well

I think I'll pick one up tomorrow and see how it goes. Still need a 1.5" hole for the ferrules.

Knockout cutters are also an option, it's basically a whole saw made for metal. They don't last forever like a slugbuster set but they are fast and easy, as long as you have a drill. If you take your time with them they do last pretty good (turn it slow!). I think the Ideal set is pretty reasonably priced.

I bought the 13/16" Greenlee punch. It's used for 1/2" fittings, so I know I'll get a fair amount of use out of it. And we don't have Harbor Freight in Canada, so that wasn't an option.

After I'm done with it, it's high-quality and durable enough that I should be able to sell it (if I want to) at not *too much* of a loss, especially since the buyer should know he'll be able to do the same and that there is no lack of people needing this particular punch.

I bought the 13/16" Greenlee punch. It's used for 1/2" fittings, so I know I'll get a fair amount of use out of it. And we don't have Harbor Freight in Canada, so that wasn't an option.

After I'm done with it, it's high-quality and durable enough that I should be able to sell it (if I want to) at not *too much* of a loss, especially since the buyer should know he'll be able to do the same and that there is no lack of people needing this particular punch.

I need to get my hands on a set of calipers to get exact measurements of the fittings. I have 1/4" half couplings, 1/2" couplings, and 1.5" tri-clover ferrules to weld into the kegs...then there's all the stuff that goes into the control box.

Back