Newbie here, experimenting. Input needed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wulfsburg

Reaction score
I am doing the following recipe

.75 lb Garmbrinus Honey Malt
.25 lb Dingemans Biscuit

6 lbs Pilsen malt syrup
1 oz cluster hops

It is currently in my primary.

I am thinking of racking into a secondary with 5 lbs of pasteurized strawberries.
Would this be a good combination to make a
"strawberry cream ale" ?

The only reason I am picking strawberries is because they are on sale at my local supermarket for 84c a lb for fresh ones.

Whadda you guys think? I am a newb, as this is only my 4th batch of beer, but I want to give it a twist from the brewers best kit that I bought.

Also, after I rack it to secondary with the fruit ( I only have a 5 gallon carboy for a secondary... primary is a 6.5 pail), will I need to rig a blow off valve (given it is full to the neck)?

Thanks

I believe you will definitely need a blow=off tube for the berries. also, I would pastuerize them to 160-170 for 10 mins to kill of any bad natural yeast. Sounds like it could be nice. Good luck!

So I ended up using 1 big can of Oregon peach puree and I just bottled it today. It primaried for 1 week and secondaried for 1 week with the puree. I tasted it prior to bottling and I have a feeling its gonna be 5x better a month from now. It was sweet, but you couldn't really distinguish the peach. I will let you know how it turned out in month!

Latest posts

Back