Dark Mild Mild Mannered Ale (AG) (E) UK/US

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well I was wrong. Both beers were a hit on NY. Everyone there had multiple pints the Mild and Blonde. I caught one guy drinking a heinekin until I told him the taps were for everyone to kill. I found a half empty 12 pack of Miller lite upstairs, but no cans anywhere. I'm thinking it was half empty when they arrived. Only had 10-15 people there so Real Pint glasses were provided. I was happy to serve my beer out of real glasses instead of plastic with only that many people and a dishwasher:)

I am really sorry about "adjusting" this recipe....dont do it!
tried to use 2 row instead of Maris Otter... and carafa II. I am goin back to Orffy's original recipe it is FLAWLESS.

I went from never having this style a couple of months ago to really, really enjoying it. I'm going to brew another one in the coming months.

I'll be trying Orfy's recipe next.

Well, I don't want to admit it, but I too altered this recipe a bit. It was all due to the pressure felt as a noob in the middle of the LHBS. Friend says, "Ah, that ain't enough grain... you'll want to boost it."

I say, "But, but, they really comment nicely on the web about this."

I'm in the shop to begin with because I trust the owner. I've bought winemaking supplies from him for quite some time now, and on top of his knowledge (worked in a east coast microbrewery for years), he gives me a decent professional discount.

Anyway, here's what we ended up with for (what was suppose to be) a 24 gallon mulitple of the original:

30# Maris Otter
5# 60L Crystal
1.5# Chocolate (Germain Dark)
3.8 oz Fuggle [4.0%] @ 60 min
4 oz Fuggle [4.0%] @ 15 min

LHBS guy adjusted the hops for me. Says they are more efficient on a larger boil. Figure he'd make out better if we'd just do straight multiplication, so how can I argue.

Well, that was the plan, then comes the night of the brew, when I get a bit anxious. Somewhere in the process, I don't load enough liquor in the HLT and don't end up with the target volume. Something about 2 am putting me off my brew game (as if I have a brew game yet). So I adjust the brew kettle to 22 gallons by adding 2 gallons of plain water, getting a SG of 1050. Guess I could have gone all the way to 24 gallons and probably had an SG much closer to the recipe, but it seemed like the thing to do at the time. Didn't want to dilute the body out of it.

Anyway, nice ferment at 56F over 10 days in the primary brings me to 1008. Seems ok to this novice. Racked 3 cornies with priming sugar, and last 5 gal to a carboy. Couple days ago I racked the carboy to a corny and started chargin it at about 14 psi. I know it's still green, but nothing else to drink around here, so I draw a pitcher off. Here's a picture of the pitcher:

notSoMildBrown.jpg

It still seems pretty mild to me, nice body, a bit more brown than I'm sure it's suppose to be, but what's the harm!? I really like the subtle hops combined with a bit o' malt character. I like a lot of flavor of beers, but could definitely drink a LOT of this!

I'm anxious to compare some of this keg with one of the primed ones.

Thanx, Orfy for the starting point. Perhaps next time I can get closer to the mark, but it's definitely a recipe to keep.​

Do I use Crystal malt 60 ( UK, Thomas Fawcett) or Chrystal malt 60L (USA)?

That is the only Crystal malt with a 60 in it listed in my software (BeerTools). I'm just a noob; I don't know the difference between the two.

Does anyone have this recipe for 5 or 5.5 gallons, U.S.? All-Grain...

Here is what I came up with for 5.5 gallons. When I brew this I want to make sure I brew it exactly how it is intended to be brewed.

Name: Mild Mannered Ale
Style: Dark Mild
Recipe Type: All Grain
Yeast: Nottingham
Yeast Starter: No
Batch Size (Gallons): 5.5
Original Gravity: 1.037
Final Gravity: 1.010
ABV: 3.5%
IBU: 23
Boiling Time (Minutes): 60
Color: 18
Mash Temp: 158* F
Efficiency: 65%
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): at least 1-2 weeks at 66 F
Tasting Notes:

7 lbs Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM) Grain 83.8 %
1 lb Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 12 %
.35 lb Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 4.20 %
Total Grain Bill: 8.35 lbs.

1 oz. Fuggles [4.50%] (45 min)
1 oz. Fuggles [4.50%] (15 min)
Total Hops: 2 oz

How does that look? Thanks!

I just brewed this recipe in a 5-gallon batch, or something really close to it. I didn't have all the ingredients I needed in the correct proportions, but I think it will turn out okay. The color certainly looks good. I'm 6-days into fermentation now and I think it is about done. I'll pull a sample tomorrow and see how things went. I'll post my comments and recipe after I've had time to evaluate.

Also, I used this as my first all-grain recipe (with the exception of 1/2 lb of extract added). Let's call it a really huge partial mash! If anyone is interested, you can see my entire write-up on my blog. Thanks for the recipe!

I just brewed this recipe in a 5-gallon batch, or something really close to it. I didn't have all the ingredients I needed in the correct proportions, but I think it will turn out okay. The color certainly looks good. I'm 6-days into fermentation now and I think it is about done. I'll pull a sample tomorrow and see how things went. I'll post my comments and recipe after I've had time to evaluate.

Also, I used this as my first all-grain recipe (with the exception of 1/2 lb of extract added). Let's call it a really huge partial mash! If anyone is interested, you can see my entire write-up on my blog. Thanks for the recipe!

Let us know how the brew turns out. I am not planning to brew this recipe soon. I'll probably brew it in the summer time. This will be my first kegged brew.

OlllllO posted a 5G or 5.5G recipe on the first or second page.

His recipe says "Batch Size: 6.0 G (23.00) L".

It looks pretty close to what I posted for 5.5 gallons so I am right about there. I am just not sure how much Crystal 60 or Cholcolate malts to use...

EDIT: Actually, he posted two different batch sizes in the same post, "Batch Size: 6.0 G (23.00)and Batch Size (Gallons): 6.5" so it's a little conflicting.

Great Recipe Orfy!
I have been looking for a great mild recipe to brew up this weekend.

Just one question to everyone who has bottled this recipe.
What did you use and How Much did you use for Priming this recipe for bottling?

I read thru all 18+ pages and didn't see anyone mention what they used for priming.

Thanks Redbeard

I'm at 1.012 today. Tastes good. I swirled and I'll let it sit another couple days and see if it will drop another 0.002. Not quite as dark as it was on brew day--much lighter today. I'll keep you all informed.

I'm preparing to make this and was wondering what water profile you guys are using? I was thinking on trying the "Edinburgh" profile as found in EZ Water Calc.

Any suggestions?

Would this be considered a "malty" or "bitter" brew?

Well to me this turned out to be very bitter, of course I mistakenly added the first addition hops at 60 min instead of at the 45 min mark.

I'm going to bottle this batch on Wednesday, so I'll let you know my impressions. I have not brewed a lot of batches of beer yet (25 total gallons), but so far what I've found, I've always thought the hops were quite pronounced at the beginning and then they tend to mellow with some time in the bottle.

Orfy,

Just brewed a 5 gal AG batch of your mild today. Being very new to all grain brewing, the small grain bill was a perfect compliment to my limiting stovetop methods (thanks deathbrewer! ;) ). So far this has been my most "successful" brewday yet.

Thanks for sharing this recipe, I can't wait till fermentation finishes up.

Orfy, I'm preparing to reproduce your 6.5 recipe exactly. I'm a little confused as to the water requirement.

You strike with 10.18 liters (2.69 gal) heated to achieve the 158 degrees F mash temp.

Vorlauf and drain after an hour.

Then sparge with enough water to hit your preboil pot volume which for you is 30.50 L (8 gal). I assume the sparge water was around 185 degrees.

Is this a correct understanding of what you did with your 6.5 batch.

I normally go for 80°C 175Fish

If you batch sparge then the Temp isn't critical. If you go too hot there's a risk of excess tannin extraction. Strike out isn't realy relevant.

I normally go for 80°C 175Fish

If you batch sparge then the Temp isn't critical. If you go too hot there's a risk of excess tannin extraction. Strike out isn't realy relevant.

Thanks for the prompt response Orfy. I appreciate the help since I want to nail the critical parameters you used with this recipe.

"Strike" is probably my poor use of the term. I was referring to the initial introduction of the 10.18 liters of water to facilitate the mash. I'm assuming you rinse the grain bed with the remaining water at the termination of the mash schedule. And I believe the goal is to hit around 168 F at this time.

I "think" this what folks refer to as a "single infusion" but I'm not certain.

Is this what you shoot for?

Sorry probably be not being clear.

You want to mash at 70c for 60 minutes. (158c)
To do this I add water at 80c (176C)

Your system may Differ but it's the grain bed temp whilst mashing that is important. (Mash High for more Body)

I batch sparge at 80c

You want to sparge as high as possible with out removing to many tannins.
The higher temp helps with sugar extraction and starting the boil.

So I hear about drinking this early. Who thinks I could get away with Kegging on Day 7 and drinking on Day 8? :mug:

Yes, that would be the prudent thing to do. I think 7 days seem good in the primary though. The activity has pretty much ceased in there after 5 days. I think I will bottle on late day 6. Does anyone think that I should put it in a secondary if I need to use the yeast cake for another brew on Day 7?

thanks

So, I brewed this on Jan 6, being my first all-grain batch using brew-in a bag technique on the stovetop. I hit 1.040 on my OG and finished out at 1.010. I left it in primary for 3-weeks as I don't like to rush my beers. Hydro samples tasted quite good, very nutty is the best way I could describe it.

I carbed at 2.0 volumes to stay with style and found it took a while to get there. I tested after 2-weeks and it was still quite flat. I keep all my beer at room temp in my apartment, which is a pretty constant 70°F. After 3-weeks it was getting better, the carbonation was better, but it didn't really hit its stride until 4-weeks in the bottle.

Now, it tastes great! It is a "lower" alcohol brew (3.9% by my calculations) and is great session beer. All my friends really like it and comment on how crisp it tastes (although I think it tastes a bit malty). So, a definite hit that I will definitely make again. It will be added to my list of usuals that I want to keep on tap (once I get the keg setup).

So, thanks for the recipe. I really like it...as do my friends!

I'm thinking of doing this as my next batch. I try and label the bottles with the name, brew date and bottle date. I'll have to shorten the name since I just label the caps. Maris Otter and Fuggles... MO-Fuggle should work. :D

Alright folks. I am pretty new to homebrewing (only about 6 batches in) and my brew partner and I have only done extract kits. This will actually be the first one we are putting together ourselves. So here's the deal. I think we have everything down on ingredients with the exception of malt extract and yeast for the 5 gallon extract recipe. So my questions are this.

1) Is the malt in the recipe DME or LME?

2) Would Pale Chocolate Malt work ok instead of the Chocolate malt or should we try another LHBS to get the Chocolate?

3) For liquid Wyeast would the London Ale III (1318) work alright?

Thank you all so much in advance!

My hydrometer blew off the side tray on my grill and shattered so no OG or FG. Turned out really water in my opinion, flavor hits nice and roasted and then dissipates and finishes clean as a whistle. I think its pretty good have a pair during lunch and go back to work beer but I wish it was a bit more body and after taste.

But then again its only been in bottles for 1 week and 5 days, going to periodically taste and compare the results.

Orfy, I think this is a REAL winner you got here!:mug:
My hydrometer sample tastes awesome, I'm just waiting for it to tell me its done.
It's a wonderfull color like rich dark roast coffee.
I can't wait to taste the finished product.

Well it looks as though it was supposed to be LME and not DME. We never got a response here so went with DME because the amounts were typical for what we usually use in extract brewing. After getting the boil done our SG reading was 1.044 not 1.034 as suggested despite filling the remainder of the 6 gallon carboy with distilled water. The result was that yesterday we had a carboy blowout. So for everyone who has asked, my guess is that LME is what the 5 gallon extract kit is supposed to be. Otherwise the SG is not supposed to be 1.034.

Just tasted my first after three weeks in the bottle. This is very smooth and malty which is exactly what I was wanting. Nice brew. Thanks Orfy.

It's is a little thin on carbonation for me and I did expect a low effect because of the type of brew. I targeted 2 volumes for the priming sugar (demerara). Maybe 3 weeks is a tad early?

Also this was the clearest brew I've ever made. Crystal clear as a result of crash cooling and some gelatin in the last few days. So maybe my yeast count fell in the dirt and priming is just a challenge?

Comments anyone?

Back