Ayinger Celebrator Double Bock

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pericles

Reaction score
I ordered this for the first time without realizing it was a bock. I'm already not a bock fan, and BeerAdvocate gives this beer an A+, so maybe it's an issue of taste, and not absolute quality but. . .

. . . this was horrific. I mean honestly, this beer was the sort of thing we'd ally with France and England to combat. Two days later, I still can't get the pudding reek out of my mouth and nose. Truly, just terrible.

Ayinger has put together a stable of really good beers, I think of them as the Sam Smith's of Germany.

The only style they make that I like is Dopplebock, but good (&*)$%*)^) man, what a Dopple.

If you like Hefe's, you'll probably like the Ayinger Hefe just fine.

I ordered this for the first time without realizing it was a bock. I'm already not a bock fan, and BeerAdvocate gives this beer an A+, so maybe it's an issue of taste, and not absolute quality but. . .

. . . this was horrific. I mean honestly, this beer was the sort of thing we'd ally with France and England to combat. Two days later, I still can't get the pudding reek out of my mouth and nose. Truly, just terrible.

I just have to say you dont know jack about beer then. This stuff is bar far the best beer on the planet and I'm not the only one saying it. You should expand beyond Stella or Corona.

I have to say that Bocks, particularly Dobbel Bocks are an acquired taste. The malt predominates over hops by a mile. If you have pedestrian tastes it isn't something you'd like. Best stay with the commercial stuff, the N. European Pils, you know the kind that comes in the green glass, or Lt. American Lagers. Don't even think about delving into Belgian ales.

this is possibly one of the best beers I've ever had.

OP, what temp were you drinking at? I didn't touch it until it reached 50F

I am curious if OP is a hop head? Unlike most, my gateway to good beer was not an IPA. I got turned on by optimator and have loved huge malty beers ever since, I also love me some belgians. As for other styles I seem to enjoy them all, except maybe rauchbier which i have never found one that I liked (even the one I brewed). The reason I ask if OP is a hop head is because celebrator is a great example of a doppelbock, and most hop heads seem to think that there is only one type of beer that is good (extremely hoppy). Personally, I love celebrator because it is roasty, malty, and finishes really clean for something this dark. This beer is great, best one I ever had was at the brewery in aying, since they don't pasteurize there (only the ones they ship to the USA).

Back