When to add berries, when to remove them?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jgln

Reaction score
I thought I was doing this right by adding blueberries right in with the Brett L. at the beginning and then leaving them in for the full fermentation process and then just bottle, leaving the berries or what is left of them behind of course. But is there a best time to add the berries and do you at some point remove them?
Sorry for such a basic question but I did a couple searches and came up confused. Did a search outside this site and found a discussion on another site where they were adding fruit close to the end of fermentation/aging just a few months before bottling.

this is one of those "its up to you" questions. adding and removing berries, or any fruit, at different times will yield different results. adding it early may cause the fruit taste to be more subdued while adding near the end may make it stronger. also the amount of berries added will also affect the strength of their taste.

your timing sounds just fine to me. let us know how it turns out.

this is one of those "its up to you" questions. adding and removing berries, or any fruit, at different times will yield different results. adding it early may cause the fruit taste to be more subdued while adding near the end may make it stronger. also the amount of berries added will also affect the strength of their taste.

your timing sounds just fine to me. let us know how it turns out.

Thanks, since I put them in early and if I remember correctly it was only like 3 lbs and 1/4 lb of blackberries from the yard I am going to leave them in all the way to the end.

A. You put them in about a year to two years after fermentation begins, and do not remove them until you rack off of them to bottle.

I left them in for the whole year in the primary. Came out great, only thing is it is still unique to anything else I have tried. It is sour like it should be which I like. I am dissapointed though on how little beer was left after siphoinig off above and below the fruit. Next time I go to all this trouble I will do at least 10 gallons, maybe even 20.

Back