I like to stir things. Stir 'em up. Yes I do.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

c72

Reaction score
My third batch, an American Pale Ale. Pitched my yeast (Windsor) into the fermenting pail.

Said to myself:

Self, I bet if you stirred the yeast after pitching it will disperse more evenly and it'll ferment more completely and faster!
;)

So I stuck my sanitized spoon in and gave it a a good stir.

As I was doing this the words "TOP FERMENTING YEAST" rolled across my brain like a herd of buffalo. :(

The beers been in the fermenter for about 2 hours. Should I re-pitch or wait and see what happens. I already know everyone's going to say wait, but I'm feeling anxious. :)

Well, I'm new to this brewing stuff, but I usually not only stir in the yeast, but shake the whole dang fermenter. Supposedly, it helps aerate the wort, which I've heard is a good thing. So far, my beers have turned out fine. From what I've read, the usual instructions of sprinkling yeast on top of the wort is not the best way to go. It should be mixed in. I wait to be corrected though.

Nurmey knows what she's talking about. The yeast are going to permeate your entire batch very shortly.

I usually not only stir in the yeast, but shake the whole dang fermenter. Supposedly, it helps aerate the wort, which I've heard is a good thing.

It's actually a pretty necessary thing if you want healthy yeast.

They are "top fermenting", because while working, they will flocculate much easier than lager yeast, and since they work faster than lager yeast as well, the extra warmth + extra CO2 formation + bigger yeast clumps = the yeast rising to the top during fermentation, then it all falls to the bottom afterwards. All yeasts, lager or ale, actually make the beer while in suspension, flying around inside the fermenter.

No worries. I dry pitch my yeast into the carboy and then shake the heck out of the whole batch to aerate my wort.

Now just let those yeast do the nasty in private and don't bug them for two or three weeks.

SMACK!

Did you really just ask if you should re-pitch after 2 hours? :rolleyes:

Your yeast will find their way despite your actions. It's always a good idea to give your beer that one last stir before setting it aside for a few weeks to do what it does (IMO).

Relax...Don't Worry....You Kow how it goes!

:D

Definitly take a chill and let those yeast work. It might take awhile, up to a couple days to start.
I always shake my carboy to aerate.

Back