Fermentation problem?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

impulserush

Reaction score
Hello, new to site, working on my second brew. I am doing a Brewers Best American Amber. Did the boil on Thursday morning and everything went well. I had bubbling with in 12 hours, very rapid bubbling then it slowed down dramatically by Friday evening. I callled local brew store they said throw more yeast and it should start bubbling more. Did so and still only bubbles once an hour or even less. My question is , is this ready for bottling? Instruction said 3-7 days. Its fermenting at 65 to 70 degrees. I have not taken my final gravity yet. Should I and go off of that?

Has any body else done this kit?, and did this happen and if so did it turn out ok?

Please help, sorry for the long thread.

Well, your hydrometer will ultimately tell you when its time to bottle. It isn't really necessary to pitch more yeast btw.

First of all- welcome to the forum! :mug:

I've made several Brewer's Best kits, and they all came out very good. The best thing here is patience- it sounds like the majority of fermentation is finsihed (definitely no need for more yeast!) but it's not time to bottle yet.

After the major part of fermentation is done, the yeast start "cleaning up" after themselves, actually digesting their own waste products. So, if you let it sit for a while, you'll have any off-flavors taken care of by the yeast.

You've got a good temperature there, so keep it steady if you can. Sometimes it helps if you wrap it with a blanket, just to stop the temperature from fluctuating during the day/evening.

Are you planning on using a secondary (a clearing tank)? If not, you should let it sit another week at least, and then check the FG. Most people would suggest taking 3 FG readings over 3 days, to ensure that it's finished. My process is just to wait two weeks from brewing, and then check. If it's where it is expected, and all signs of fermentation are over, then you can bottle.

I realize that the instructions say 3-7 days, but that is the only thing wrong with the Brewer's Best instructions. You'll have cleaner tasting beer with less sediment in the bottles as well as NO risk of bottle bombs if you wait.

Thanks, Yooperbrew, I will not do a secondary, I did not on the first and that one came out great, SO it will not hurt the brew to sit for the full 2 weeks even if I see no activity in the air lock?I am just worried that it will go bad sitting there, or am I just a worry "WORT":) Your help has been great.

Oh, no- the longer it sits (up to a month or so), the better the results, generally speaking. It's hard to do, though! I know I always want to "help" it along, but doing something. But at this point, it's best to let it settle and clear and condition.

I've stuck with brewer best kits my self & dont a few recipes. I've talked to my brother (biologist with a chemistry minor) & home brew store operator. They have both said that most of the fermentation takes place in the first couple of days. That most of the surgars are eaten up. Rack to a secondary you will me so much happier with your product

When would be the best time to rack to other bucket? Would I do anything to the wort at that time? And then how long should it be in the second container?

Thanks

There is a ton of debate from what I have seen about even needing to use a secondary. For wheat beers many do not do it for the nature of the beer is to be cloudy. Racking to a secondary will allow for your beer to clear more. I would say about 2 weeks in the secondary should suffice. But you want to make sure the fermentation is done before you rack it off.

my latest batch just did the same thing. obvious fermentation for perhaps 24 hours, then nothing. no krausen, no airlock activity. nothing. this is perhaps my 7th or 8th batch (my 2nd time making this identical recipe) and i've never had this happen before. generally my brews ferment visibly for close to a week or even more. i definitely feel like something's wrong. i'll try to get a hydro reading today, but i can guarantee it's nowhere near done.

any thoughts on a jump start? everyone says be patient, but my experience is saying "this ain't right!"

If your hydro says that it is not done, try rolling it around. Don't splash it, but try to get the yeast back into suspension. I think you may be surprised though, it may be done.

gave her a good roll around yesterday, but nada. i'll check hydro after work. thanks :mug:

If your hydro says that it is not done, try rolling it around. Don't splash it, but try to get the yeast back into suspension. I think you may be surprised though, it may be done.

I just took my FG. After 1 week, its at 1.020. Recipe specs. are 1.010-1.014.
Smells like beer, even tasted like beer. Has a strong smell. like achohol. Kind of burned my nose a little, but it smells like beer. I rolled it slightly and recapped. I am guessing let it sit a few days and recheck FG.

So how am I looking. Still no activity in the air lock before I took the lid off.

Info please and feedback.

my gravity after 8 days is now 1.018 (first chance i've gotten to take the reading). i'll test again tomorrow and see if there's a change. there has been no, none, nada evidence of fermentation - no bubbling, no krausen, etc. very bizarre

looking at the targets. target original was 1.064 (obviously missed). target final was 1.017 (which seems high to me), so i'm not too far off. i need to rack to secondary, so i'll test gravity again tomorrow and probably rack to secondary at that time.

Well I just bottled and took FG before. Came in at 1.010. Right where it should be. This was 14 days in the bucket. I will let it sit for the 21 or so days and see how she tastes;)

I was surprise how clear this was after 14 days. I will let you all know how it tastes.

Thanks again for all the help.:mug:

my gravity after 8 days is now 1.018 (first chance i've gotten to take the reading). i'll test again tomorrow and see if there's a change. there has been no, none, nada evidence of fermentation - no bubbling, no krausen, etc. very bizarre

looking at the targets. target original was 1.064 (obviously missed). target final was 1.017 (which seems high to me), so i'm not too far off. i need to rack to secondary, so i'll test gravity again tomorrow and probably rack to secondary at that time.

You might not see any signs of fermentation, so that is why you check. Bubbles and Krausen don't tell you the whole story. Well if your yeast has 75% attuenuation then that would be right. What is your latest gravity check?

Hey impulserush again welcome to hbt. One website that helped me a ton for info on yeast was the wyeast website. Also i think white labs has one also. There is a ton of in depth info about different yeast and how fermentation takes place. The best thing is it is all free.

i racked to secondary friday night, and it was still 1.018, so i guess we're right on schedule.

i was concerned, only because in all my other batches thus far, there was plenty of visible fermentation, krausen, etc. this batch seemed to finish very quickly. oh well!

You might not see any signs of fermentation, so that is why you check. Bubbles and Krausen don't tell you the whole story. Well if your yeast has 75% attuenuation then that would be right. What is your latest gravity check?

Its been 2 weeks since I bottled. I could not resist. I chilled one and opened up. Had a good amount of carbonation. Smell was good. The taste was great. So I thank you all for the help and I will be in touch when I do the next batch

Back