sulfur smell

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arn73

Reaction score
Hi all,
I am currently pulping and pressing this year's brew ready to go into a freshly emptied 40gallon whiskey barrel.
This is my 3rd year of making cider like this but when I come to drink the cider after about 5 months in the barrel, I always seem to end up with a pretty strong sulfur smell ( eggy ) to it !!
It still tastes pretty good and is pretty strong :)
Does anyone know how to get rid of the smell ??
Cheers

From my experience, and what I have read in other threads, this is due to the yeast being stressed. Try stirring regularly if you can from as soon as it starts. Also, try adding yeast nutrients to it prior to pitching the yeast.

Hi all,
I am currently pulping and pressing this year's brew ready to go into a freshly emptied 40gallon whiskey barrel.
This is my 3rd year of making cider like this but when I come to drink the cider after about 5 months in the barrel, I always seem to end up with a pretty strong sulfur smell ( eggy ) to it !!
It still tastes pretty good and is pretty strong :)
Does anyone know how to get rid of the smell ??
Cheers

I don't know that I have the answer, but I do have a few questions that other folks might need to know the answer to in order to provide some guidance. Is the sulfur smell present during fermentation or only after 5 months when you go to drink it? Also, do you rack off the lees after fermentation has stopped? Are you using wild yeast or a cultured yeast bought from a store? What about yeast nutrient?

Hopefully these questions will lead to some answers!

Thanks guy's, in answer to your questions,
The smell of sulfur is after 5 months, yes I do rack of from the lees, I use shop bought yeast ( youngs), and so far I haven't used any yeast nutrient.
Cheers

Thanks guy's, in answer to your questions,
The smell of sulfur is after 5 months, yes I do rack of from the lees, I use shop bought yeast ( youngs), and so far I haven't used any yeast nutrient.
Cheers

I don't see any obvious reasons/sources for the sulfur smell. But here is a link that tells you how to get rid of it.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f25/do-i-have-stabilize-fine-278270/index2.html#post3457241

Hopefully it'll work for you.

I know it isn't uncommon to smell "rhino farts" during fermentation, but it doesn't sound like that's what is happening in your case. And if you're not careful these sulfur compounds stick around and never dissipate. Usually yeast nutrients during fermentation and lower fermentation temps help prevent them.

Back