yeast cake question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eric_618

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I just bottled my first brew this AM. An Irish Red Ale kit using LME. I see the term yeast cake thrown around a lot on here. When I racked to my bottling bucket, I expected a pretty dense cake-like "cake" on the bottom of the fermenter. Instead, I was greeted with a whole lot of loose crap floating all over around the bottom. I actually had to dump a decent amount of beer because so much was in suspension. :(

Is this normal, or was there an issue somewhere? If it matters, I used Muntun's dry yeast and pitched by just sprinkling on top if the wort. Also, at the end of the boil, I added a whirlfloc tab. I didn't secondary, but it was in the primary for three and a half weeks.

Thanks in advance!

some yeasts form a more compacted cake then others. I haven't used Munton's yeast much, so I'm not too familiar with it's flocculation properties. Fermentis s-04 and Danstar Nottingham both clump up pretty good, and form a nice solid cake. Also, if you cool the fermenter to fridge temp after the yeast have fermented everything, it will help the yeast settle to the bottom.

as it is, I don't think you have anything to worry about. that sounds perfectly normal, for a yeast that isn't extremely flocculant.

Yup, I agree with Hogarthe. I've had all sorts of yeast cakes: dense, loose, in between. I always figured it varied depending on the type of yeast, the length of time it was in primary, and the temperature. May even be other factors too. No worries! :mug:

Just read up on that yeast, and it does have a low flocculation. I'm brewing an IPA with a White Labs WLP007 vial later today. That's supposed to have very high flocculation. I can compare and contrast in 3-4 weeks when I bottle that one.

Thanks!!!

Back