pineapple cider?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frydogbrews

Reaction score
so a different thread here on HBT got me thinking about pineapple juice. anybody ever put it with apple juice and fermented it? i'm thinking 4 gals of apple and 1 gal of pineapple as a way to start this off. i'm thinking the tartness of the pineapple could be very beneficial to cider, especially if its out of season store bought apple juice.
thoughts?

Go for it. You could scale it down for a test batch - I've got a small 2.5 gallon test batch of pomegranate-apple cider in a 3 gallon fermenter right now.

Maybe consider adding it to secondary. I've seen quite a few threads around here saying that it's quite a hard ferment and starts smelling of vomit :) Give it a search, scale it down for two 2 gal tests, one with it in secondary and one in primary maybe.

Easy on the pineapple... a Goodsize Pineapple Wine will give you a BOOM pineapple headache.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-rmabgcMtPQ"]Dr. Goodsize, Pineapple Wine[/ame]

Actually, I thought that the acids and the enzymes would prevent the yeast from fermenting... guess I'll have to spend some time with the Great Evil Internet Search Results provider.

I made one a couple of weeks ago. Only I used 1 gallon and 1/2 of pineapple juice and topped the rest off with apple juice. Took almost 2 weeks for the gravity to go down to 1.000. Didn't use any yeast butrient or anything of the sort. Maybe I'm lucky it fermented at all, heh heh. Used saffale american ale yeast...that's either the S-04 or S-05, I believe.

I boiled 1/2oz of cascade for 30 min. with 1 gallon of apple juice though. It is beautifully tart and citrusy. Moving it to secondary tomorrow. I have no idea if it'll go through the stink phase or not, as ciders tend to do this.

I hope you have more luck than I did. I believe 'raunchy' was the word I used to describe my apple/pineapple experiment. It actually got worse as it aged.

Do yourself a favor and keep the test batch on the small side.

I recently had a pineapple wine from Hawaii that I really enjoyed, though. Perhaps switching to a low attenuating wine yeast would be helpful.

I taste tested it during the switch to secondary and it was beautiful. I hope it stays as good while aging. Maybe ale yeast is the key. I was never too impressed with lalvin.

Sounds tasty fuman.

What kind of pineapple juice did you use? Fresh? Canned?

When I lived in Guizhou China in 2002-2004 I would pop down to the local store every night and get a six pack of pineapple beer . It was sweet, tangy, not particularly high in alcohol, and went went great with my dinner. I wish I knew how to brew that. I sure miss it.

Sounds tasty fuman.

What kind of pineapple juice did you use? Fresh? Canned?

Good question. I splurged on PC pineapple juice. 1.79L cartons. NOT FROM CONCENTRATE. This pineapple juice is crazy. Actually, it ends up being only 1$ more expensive per litre than the crappy oasis from concentrate.

The difference between canned pineapple and fresh is like the difference between making a beer using a kit, and making it from scratch.

I wouldn't make pineapple alcohol from concentrate. Certain fruits I'm sure you can get away with, but not pineapple...for the love of god.

Done it! I don't know if I was successful just by luck but it worked out pretty good..... I was pretty light on the amount of pineapple to apple juice though... And I used EC1118 because I heard it can be a hard ferment due to the acidity as Oldmate said. The other guys are correct though, if you have not started your batch already do a small test batch....
I've had a pineapple wine headache and it was WAY worse than champagne! Anyone know why this is?

I bet the famous Skeeter Pee recipe would work with pineapple. If anything, the Skeeter Pee recipe would be good for how to treat the yeast so they can work in an acidic environment.

One of my favs is a pineapple! and have done over 65 flavors...1 frozen per 5 gal...ive added a wee bit o cardamon at times and its awesome.Girls love it with bubbles indeed. theres a frozen mango pineapple that is awesome too. bring it up to 9% and you have a panty dropper on your hands..be careful

One of my favs is a pineapple! and have done over 65 flavors...1 frozen per 5 gal...ive added a wee bit o cardamon at times and its awesome.Girls love it with bubbles indeed. theres a frozen mango pineapple that is awesome too. bring it up to 9% and you have a panty dropper on your hands..be careful

Do you have your recipe on hand? I just started dating a girl who absolutely LOVES pineapple cider and I want to brew her some.

There is a pineapple apple apple cider in the recipe section. I have it on the go currently. So far so good. About half way through primary :)

I've a pinapple wine going atm.
"dry hopped" with coconut flakes and banana.
Was thinking about blending part of it with some cider that was fermented seperately. Perhaps just a bomber bottles worth.

I've made the pineapple cider from True Brews by Emma Christensen several times and its great!

You can see the receipe here

One thing I will say about it. It smells terrible at bottling time.
You'll likely think its spoiled but give it a few weeks in bottles and its good, a few months and its fantastic!

Back