Twangy Aftertaste keeps popping up.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Savage06

Reaction score
So keep having this issue popping up and hopefully you guys can help.

I've done a few different batches that are having that dry medicinal twang aftertaste to them. It's most evident in the lighter style beers, pale ales and saisons I have brewed. I've went through the paces and tried to eliminate the major common flaws. Here is my process with the last batch. Hopefully somebody can point out any fault with the process.

I do Biab, here is my centennial IPA recipe.

http://hopville.com/recipe/1644207

I mashed at a concentration of 1.25qts per lb of grain for 60 mins at 150. Pulled out the bag set in a strainer over the pot and sparged with 12qts of 170 degree water and let drain. I ended up with just a shade under 6 gals for the boil. All of my water is basic nyc tap water.

60 min boil followed the hop schedule as in the recipe. Chilled to 65 with a wort chiller and pitched a decanted 4 quart starter of White labs 001 as per mr malty calculator.

Violently Shook the bucket for a full 2 mins to airate.

I clean and sanitize with unscented oxy clean for 1hr. Do an extensive rinse of the equipment then soak in starsan for 1hr.

I fermented in a 6.5 gal bucket in a swamp cooler filled to the beer line and swap out 2, 2 liter frozen water bottles I maintained the temp at 63 for 8 days until the majority of primary was done then left the water which stabilized at 70-72 for another 2 weeks until i had stable hydro readings.

Dryhopped with 4oz of centennial for about 12 days...a bit long but was out of town.

Racked, primed to 1.9 vols and bottled into sanitized 12oz bottles and capped.

I know that the temps in a swamp cooler can swing a bit but the flavor isn't fusely or hot.

I think it might be chlorine in my water. Does anybody else have issues with NYC tap water causing any off flavors?

By Oxy Clean do you mean this stuff?

de2ebde3-3eeb-4376-ab59-9e1bd08b91f6.png

Since you seem experienced enough to pick out DMS on your own, and there doesn't seem to be any issues that would cause that (boiling with the lid on, cooling too slowly), my guess would be too much iron in your water, email the water company and ask for a water analysis report. If you post that on here I'm sure there's a water expert that will chime in. Maybe try a batch with store bought water too.

Do you have somewhere to get RO water? On your next batch, pick up some RO or distilled water to use and add back the minerals as per the water for dummies primer in the brew science section. See if that fixes your problem.

I am guessing you are getting chlorophenols from either chlorine or chloramine. I bet it was super strong in the saison with all the phenols that yeast throws off.

By Oxy Clean do you mean this stuff?

de2ebde3-3eeb-4376-ab59-9e1bd08b91f6.png

Not that one, the unscented one. I think it has the green top. I use it to clean my equipment and bottles and I have no such aftertaste.

+1 to the water thing. I filter my own water to brew with.

How long did you bottle condition? Sometimes, what people describe a "twangy" aftertaste is really just a green beer. Some of my earlier beers had what I would describe as a twang and I left them in the bottles for a few more weeks and the "green" beer matured.
-Jefe-

I clean and sanitize with unscented oxy clean for 1hr. Do an extensive rinse of the equipment then soak in starsan for 1hr.

You might know this already, but oxyclean does not sanitize. Since you do the starsan after then you should be fine there.

Maybe try camden tablets since they are cheap and a bag lasts forever. Also, store bought water might help.

How long did you bottle condition? Sometimes, what people describe a "twangy" aftertaste is really just a green beer. Some of my earlier beers had what I would describe as a twang and I left them in the bottles for a few more weeks and the "green" beer matured.
-Jefe-

The latest beer I tasted was a bit young but I have batches that have been bottled for months that still have that finish. It is less apparent but still has it.

So keep having this issue popping up and hopefully you guys can help.

I've done a few different batches that are having that dry medicinal twang aftertaste to them. It's most evident in the lighter style beers, pale ales and saisons I have brewed. I've went through the paces and tried to eliminate the major common flaws. Here is my process with the last batch. Hopefully somebody can point out any fault with the process.

I do Biab, here is my centennial IPA recipe.

http://hopville.com/recipe/1644207

I mashed at a concentration of 1.25qts per lb of grain for 60 mins at 150. Pulled out the bag set in a strainer over the pot and sparged with 12qts of 170 degree water and let drain. I ended up with just a shade under 6 gals for the boil. All of my water is basic nyc tap water.

60 min boil followed the hop schedule as in the recipe. Chilled to 65 with a wort chiller and pitched a decanted 4 quart starter of White labs 001 as per mr malty calculator.

Violently Shook the bucket for a full 2 mins to airate.

I fermented in a 6.5 gal bucket in a swamp cooler filled to the beer line and swap out 2, 2 liter frozen water bottles I maintained the temp at 63 for 8 days until the majority of primary was done then left the water which stabilized at 70-72 for another 2 weeks until i had stable hydro readings.

Dryhopped with 4oz of centennial for about 12 days...a bit long but was out of town.

Racked, primed to 1.9 vols and bottled into sanitized 12oz bottles and capped.

I know that the temps in a swamp cooler can swing a bit but the flavor isn't fusely or hot.

I think it might be chlorine in my water. Does anybody else have issues with NYC tap water causing any off flavors?

Medicinal or band aid taste frequently means infection. It sounds like you clean and sanitize your fermentors well. Have you changed out your bottling bucket and tubing lately?

pdxal said:
Medicinal or band aid taste frequently means infection. It sounds like you clean and sanitize your fermentors well. Have you changed out your bottling bucket and tubing lately?

Because the OP says this is recurring with good sanitizing practice my thought is still water. See my link in previous post regarding phenols or Phenolic taste as described.

Back