Brew Kettle is pitting?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mojavejohn

Reaction score
I have a Morebeer stainless steel 9 gal. economy brew kettle. I have brewed 8-10 batches of beer in it over the last year or so. I noticed after my last batch that just around the "boil line" it appears to be getting pitted. There are little black dots. They are very small but I can just start to feel the roughness when I rub my hand over them. There are also very large "pit" marks where the couplers were welded in, they have been there since I purchased it. I have read that the kettle should not be cleaned with bleach, so I have kept that away from it. I always clean and dry my kettle right away after a brew day. Please help me figure this out. Thanks.

Do the little black marks feel raised or indented? My kettle gets little black dots at the boil line but its just crap from my brew. I have to scrub the begeezus out of it to get them all off.

Do the little black marks feel raised or indented? My kettle gets little black dots at the boil line but its just crap from my brew. I have to scrub the begeezus out of it to get them all off.

Ya know I really didn't notice, I will look at them when I get home, do some scrubbing and see. Thanks.

Back