Red's Rye Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewmadness

Reaction score
So I've been doing a lot of searching looking for a Red's Rye recipe. I've seen lots of variations and Can't decide which I should go with. I'm leaning towards the following recipe, but I have seen some that substitue 2-row for the M.O.
9 lbs M.O.'
3 lbs rye
1 lb cara munich
.5 lb crystal 40
.5 lb crystal 20
3 oz. special B

1.5 oz Perle (60)
1 oz. Amarillo (30)
1 oz. Amarillo (15)
.5 oz. Amarillo (0)
1 oz. Amarillo (DH)
Nottingham

Who had tried the various recipes for this and what is the consensus on a good one?
And on a side note - Being a noob, I'm not sure the differences between 2-row and M.O. What kind of flavor differences can I expect between the two.

Thanks for any info and advice!

Here is my best guess at Founders Red's Rye...I am brewing on Wednesday. I am probably not much help to you yet but I think you are close. I know that Founders uses 2-Row Rye and Cara Pils...and I have heard (without confirmation) that they use 1056 for most of there beers. Your hops seem right. An email from a brewer at founders says to put more emphasis on the 30 minute hop charge opposed to the 60 minute. He also recommended more of a dry hop than you have, but I think your ok. I used Caramel 40 & 80 L for whatever its worth

When my batch is ready to drink...I am going to get a growler of Red's and do a taste test with my buddies...if all goes well

Batch size 5 gallons
Boil size 6.1 gallons
Boil time 60 minutes
Grain weight 13.1 pounds
Efficiency 75%
Original gravity 1.070
Final gravity 1.017
Alcohol (by volume) 6.8%
Bitterness (IBU) 70
Color (SRM) 12.6°L
Yeast
3 liquid packs
Wyeast
1056 American Ale

Grains/Extracts/Sugars
13.1 pounds
2 Row Base
37ppg, 1.5°L 8.5 pounds
64.9%
Rye
30ppg, 4°L 1.5 pounds
11.5%
CaraPils
33ppg, 1.5°L 1.2 pounds
9.2%
Crystal 40L
34ppg, 40°L 0.75 pounds
5.7%
Crystal 80L
34ppg, 80°L 0.75 pounds
5.7%
Aromatic
36ppg, 4°L 0.4 pounds
3.1%

Mash
60 minutes, 8.3 gallons
Strike
Target 152°F 4.9 gallons
163°F
60 minutes (+0)
Sparge
Target 170°F 3.4 gallons
182°F

Boil
60 minutes, 6.1 gallons
Perle hops
8%, Pellet 1 ounce
60 minutes (+0)
Amarillo hops
8%, Pellet 2 ounces
30 minutes (+30)
Amarillo hops
8%, Pellet 1 ounce
15 minutes (+45)
Wort chiller 15 minutes (+45)
Amarillo hops
8%, Pellet 1 ounce
0 minutes (+60)

Ferment
14 days @ 60-72°F
Amarillo hops
8%, Pellet 1 ounce
7 days (+7)

And MO vs 2-row...I believe it is an English v American thing. I think the flavor between these two is pretty similar...2-row will give you a little more clarity and lighter color...but I am no expert and I am sure someone will tell me that I am wrong in much more depth.

Thanks for the input. I just transferred this to secondary for dry hop the other day. The sample I pulled tasted very close to Red's Rye. The color didn't even seem close though. More of a pale ale than what Red's Rye looks like. I've always been more concerned with how my beer tastes than what color or clarity it is but.....curious as to where Red's gets that hint of red from. I would be interested in sampling yours alongside mine. I am in Grand Rapids every weekday. Care to do a swap?

Sure...why not!
Mine won't be done for a little bit yet...(brewing tomorrow)...but I would be interested in comparing the difference as well...stay in touch?

And MO vs 2-row...I believe it is an English v American thing. I think the flavor between these two is pretty similar...2-row will give you a little more clarity and lighter color...but I am no expert and I am sure someone will tell me that I am wrong in much more depth.

Dude, you're wrong, and heres a 10 page essay why... blah blah blah.

MO does have a slightly different flavor that most consider to be a more intense malt flavor than regular American 2-row. I like to use MO when i'm going for a maltier beer, and 2-row when going for a hoppier beer or a stout thats going to be overshadowed by roasted grains anyways.

I made, what I consider to be, an exact replica of Red's RyePA... the color, clarity, hops... for me were spot on! I know you have a bit too much rye there... and I used pale ale malt as opposed to just straight 2-row, but I doubt you will see much of a difference. I think you want your rye down closer to 11-12% of your grain bill. I am at work now and don't have my recipe on hand, but if I can remember, I will post my version here later on tonight.

dannedry - I would love to see your recipe. I, myself, have not attempted building my own recipe for anything yet. This was just one I scrounged up here in the forum.
awarner - I plan to bottle this weekend. If you think about it when you get to a point that yours is ready, shoot me a note. We could meet up at Founders or something and do a swap.

Rye IPA
American IPA

Type: All Grain
Date: 9/29/2011
Batch Size: 5.50 gal
Brewer: Dan
Boil Size: 7.39 gal Asst Brewer:
Boil Time: 60 min Equipment: Brew Pot (15 Gal) and Igloo/Gott Cooler (10 Gal)
Taste Rating(out of 50): 35.0 Brewhouse Efficiency: 72.00
Taste Notes:

Ingredients

Amount Item Type % or IBU
9.50 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 66.67 %
1.75 lb Rye Malt (4.7 SRM) Grain 12.28 %
1.00 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 7.02 %
0.75 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) Grain 5.26 %
0.75 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L (80.0 SRM) Grain 5.26 %
0.50 lb Aromatic Malt (26.0 SRM) Grain 3.51 %
1.00 oz Pearle [8.00 %] (60 min) Hops 23.4 IBU
3.00 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] (Dry Hop 7 days) Hops -
1.50 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] (30 min) Hops 28.7 IBU
1.00 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] (15 min) Hops 12.4 IBU
1.00 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] (5 min) Hops 5.0 IBU
1.00 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] (0 min) Hops -
2 Pkgs SafAle American Ale (DCL Yeast #US-05) Yeast-Ale

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.065 SG
Measured Original Gravity: 1.061 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.015 SG Measured Final Gravity: 1.012 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 6.61 % Actual Alcohol by Vol: 6.39 %
Bitterness: 69.5 IBU Calories: 272 cal/pint
Est Color: 13.2 SRM Color: Color

Mash Profile

Mash Name: Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge Total Grain Weight: 14.25 lb
Sparge Water: 5.45 gal Grain Temperature: 72.0 F
Sparge Temperature: 168.0 F TunTemperature: 72.0 F
Adjust Temp for Equipment: FALSE Mash PH: 5.4 PH

Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge Step Time Name Description Step Temp
60 min Mash In Add 17.81 qt of water at 165.9 F 154.0 F

Mash Notes: Simple single infusion mash for use with most modern well modified grains (about 95% of the time).
Carbonation and Storage

Carbonation Type: Corn Sugar Volumes of CO2: 2.4
Pressure/Weight: 4.2 oz Carbonation Used: -
Keg/Bottling Temperature: 60.0 F Age for: 28.0 days
Storage Temperature: 52.0 F

Notes

Created with BeerSmith

Fermentation schedule was roughly 2 week primary at 63 degrees, followed by a 2 week secondary at 63 degrees... dry hop for the last 7 days of the secondary fermentation.

This is truely, a GREAT rye ipa, and like I said, for me and everybody else that tried it, it right on the MONEY with the Founders Red's Rye PA!

Cheers!

Nice....I came up with about what you have....you added 1oz more at 30 minutes. I just brewed today...OG 1.068

Nice....I came up with about what you have....you added 1oz more at 30 minutes. I just brewed today...OG 1.068

Yeah, I found little bits and pieces of info here and there, and kind of pieced it together from that. Id highly suggest 3oz dry hop though... it was right on the money! The last batch i brewed was a combination of this Founder's Red's RyePA recipe and Founder's Centennial IPA... kept the same malt base as the Red's, only upped the ABV and IBU to match Centennial IPA, using strictly Centennial hops... it was VERY good! Though I think I prefer the Amarillo hops to Centennials.

:mug:

This ended up being very tasty. Color is way darker than Founders. Need to get some Red's Rye to do a comparison but seems fairly close. Will try the other recipe in this thread with the 2 row and see how that turns out...

Back