Lost priming sugar.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lunchtime

Reaction score
Somehow my priming sugar has vanished. The LHBS is a good distance away, so my question is...Can I use regular sugar? I researched this a bit and the first answer was "No, it leaves an odd taste"...then other people said that's just a myth.

I figured I would get some opinions on here before I ruined my beer.

Just make sure you measure the sugar by weight NOT volume. You can also use honey (1.25x the amount of sugar you would have used) to bottle carbonate with. If you don't have software that gives you the amount of sugar to use, go to one of the sites with calculators to get the amount of sugar to add to get your CO2 volumes goal. Otherwise you run a very real risk of overcarbonating the bottles. Sometimes to disasterours ends (bottle bombs).

The demerara sugar (raw cane sugar) is always a good one with amber colored beers & darker with that light brown sugar laced with honey flavor. And I like the regular,darker one better than that pilsen DME colored organic stuff.

Back