Is a 24 hr delay too late to wash yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

msa8967

mickaweapon
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Last evening I kegged to batches of brew with the intention of washing the yeast afterward. Unfortunately, swmbo took a nasty spell on the ice walking the dog and I had to take her to the ER for x-rays. I left the yeast/trub in the buckets with the lid in the garage where the temp has been in the low 30's.

Is it still possible to wash with success or should I just dump this batch? I am wondering if exposure to O2 from bottling and staying at a low temp may have damaged the yeast cells. The beers were at 45 F from cold crashing where I kegged them.

Thanks for any comments or input. This was to be my first efoort at washing yeast and I didn't want to screw it up.

I think you have a high probability of success at these temperatures.

Nothing is guaranteed, but I'd roll with it. If you had basic sanitation in place it will work out fine.

I've done it a few times. I always just put the carboy back in the fridge for a few days till I am ready.

What if the temps drppoed below 32F? I am not sure if the garage has stayed above freezing.

If the trub / yeast cake actually froze and crystalized that might be an issue. In my unheated garage it takes a few days of bitter cold to actually freeze anything.

Just do a yeast starter batch, and if it does not spring to life make sure you have some backup yeast on hand.

It will fail. Next time, tell her she'll need to wait while you wash your yeast before taking her to the ER. You need to get your priorities straight.

It will fail. Next time, tell her she'll need to wait while you wash your yeast before taking her to the ER. You need to get your priorities straight.

Just to be sure about your post I am assuming that you think this method will be OK and that next time I should give swmbo some whisky to deal with the pain while I finish my brew project.

Just to be sure about your post I am assuming that you think this method will be OK and that next time I should give swmbo some whisky to deal with the pain while I finish my brew project.

sounds like a plan. of course, she could be more considerate and wait till you've washed and bottled the yeast before she falls. :ban: is she ok?

Back