Horizon Hops....Aroma?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gabe

It's a sickness!
Reaction score
I have 2 oz of these in 13%AA and wanted to know the best place for them in the boil. I read they are a good late addition and aroma hop. Anyone use these? What kind of flavor-aroma do they give off? Good hop -bad hop ? I wanted to use these in a Pale.

Cheers

Never used them, but at 13% AA I would assume they are a bittering hop, just as good as any other. If you want to get a real feel for the hop, brew a beer with them; add some at 60 minutes for bittering (not too much at 13% AA!!), 15-30 for flavor, and at 'flameout' for aroma. See what it gives you...

From wiki:

Horizon - American high alpha cross made in Oregon in 1970 from Nugget. Soft bitterness; good aromatic qualities. (Alpha acid 11–13% / beta acid 6.5–8.5%)

Supposedly they're a very clean, pleasant hop. I plan to use them in a sweet stout for Bittering/Flavor but have never used them before, If I remember I'll post the results. Good luck!

Digging up an old thread as I'm looking for more information on Horizon hops.

Does anyone have much experience with using Horizon for aroma/flavour?

I have some Horizon and Columbus that I'm looking at making an American amber with (in about a 2:1 ratio horizon:columbus).

Any feedback on this would be much appreciated.

Back