Cafe Orzo "The Italian Caffeine Free Alternative"

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eulipion2

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Has anyone tried Cafe Orzo coffee substitute? It's roasted barley ground and brewed like coffee.
cafe-orzo-_detail_123-OrzocutoutPROD.jpg

It's about $9 for 12 ounces and tastes almost like a weak wort. Of course, I put 'espresso grind' into a French press, and when I went to empty it there was still a lot of dry grains, so I need to give it another go.

Has anyone else tried it? Anyone tried brewing with it?

I haven't tried it, but don't plan to either. It may be tasty if mixed with actual coffee - not sure. When I want coffee, I want coffee.

As for brewing - wouldn't it be the same as finely crushed roast barley?

Let us know how your tasting experiments go!

Haven't tried that one, but roasted barley is known for it's coffee-like characteristics and it's much, much cheaper.

Well, even brewed properly it tastes kinda like wort, but you do get some of the roasty, coffee-like flavors. I still prefer coffee, but it's drinkable. It'd be a lot cheaper to just get some from a homebrew shop and grind it yourself. That way you could get different roasts.

Hey guys, this thread came in really handy, cause I'm planing an AG with a dry stout recipe that calls for flaked barley, roasted barley, and acidulated malt.

I'm in brazil and having a lot of problems to find the right ingredients. the LHBS (local meaning national LOL) carrys brazilian grown/malted pilsner for base and acidulated.

I found flaked on a few healthy food shops, but the only thing I've found for roasted barley is one brand they sell as a caffeine free coffee substitute. it is really fine ground. it is probably totaly soluble in water. I dont really know if it is gonna work, but that's my only choice. my question is, should I just toss it in the mash? or the boil? if I throw it in the mash, should I get some rice hulls? help me out guys!!!

brazilian homebrewers have been making stouts with pilsner, caraaroma and carafa III, but I am really looking foward to follow the traditional 70-20-10 of a dry stout. (it's my fist stout)

Thank you

Hey guys, this thread came in really handy, cause I'm planing an AG with a dry stout recipe that calls for flaked barley, roasted barley, and acidulated malt.

I'm in brazil and having a lot of problems to find the right ingredients. the LHBS (local meaning national LOL) carrys brazilian grown/malted pilsner for base and acidulated.

I found flaked on a few healthy food shops, but the only thing I've found for roasted barley is one brand they sell as a caffeine free coffee substitute. it is really fine ground. it is probably totaly soluble in water. I dont really know if it is gonna work, but that's my only choice. my question is, should I just toss it in the mash? or the boil? if I throw it in the mash, should I get some rice hulls? help me out guys!!!

brazilian homebrewers have been making stouts with pilsner, caraaroma and carafa III, but I am really looking foward to follow the traditional 70-20-10 of a dry stout. (it's my fist stout)

Thank you
Could you add it to a muslin tea bag in the mash?

I haven't had that per se, but I have had mugicha, which is roasted barley that's then ground and made into a tea. Very common in Japan, we drink it all the time in my house. Wikipedia link.

Sounds like almost the same thing.

Also mugicha appears to be much cheaper than the orzo stuff. At least at my local Japanese markets I can get mugicha for pretty cheap. I've considered brewing with it but haven't really come up with a recipe to showcase it yet.

Could you add it to a muslin tea bag in the mash?

Well I can do that. Like I said, LHBS lacks a lot of stuff we have in us. I'd need to make one, so my question is: is it really necessary? Don't you think the grain bed would do the trick? Just a though ... Thank you

Latest posts

Back