First brew done tonight, couple Q's

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kryznic

Reaction score
1. Will Star San kill yeast? Cuz I stirred my yeast with a spoon that was soaking in it.

2. more of a note to self to pour the wort into the fementer outside, I used a flat mesh screen (may have been my problem, prolly shoulda used a cone shaped strainer) to strain the wort.

3. Wort gunk looks like really bad dog diarrhea OMFG. When pouring it was piling up on the strainer and causing wort to spill on the floor, my GF did all she could do (she was holding the strainer) to not throw her guts up all over the place.

4. After I poured the wort into the fementer I used bottled water, one of those large 3 gallon jug kinds, I just let it pour down from the counter into the fermenter. This should be adequate aeration?

5. My wort did not boil over, never even came close. I got a very small layer of suds of the top at times but not much. Is this normal?

I used a regular old American Pale Ale kit with hopped LME and DME. Seemed to go OK, it took a while for the wort to get boiling though. I hope this turns out OK. I shoulda took some pics but I was trying to focus on what I was doing.

1) No, you're fine. Just shake most of it off the spoon.
2) Yep. Midwest Supplies sells one for ~$10
3) Yep, it's ugly. Be sure to get to it soon, it will turn into an ungodly sticky mess if you leave it.
4)Maybe not by itself, but you probably aerreated it a good bit pouring it through the strainer. Try swirling the fermenter a bit, let it slosh around.
5) Yeah, no worries. You probably did a good job with heat control.

1) No, you're fine. Just shake most of it off the spoon.
2) Yep. Midwest Supplies sells one for ~$10
3) Yep, it's ugly. Be sure to get to it soon, it will turn into an ungodly sticky mess if you leave it.
4)Maybe not by itself, but you probably aerreated it a good bit pouring it through the strainer. Try swirling the fermenter a bit, let it slosh around.
5) Yeah, no worries. You probably did a good job with heat control.

what he said :D

congrats! :mug:

I'll agree with what's been said already.

Using the strainer does a great job of aerating the wort. You should be in great shape.

sweeeeeeeeeet. thanks all! And I have my midwest supplies catalog right here. I am gonna go hop into bed and thumb through it. Hopefully I see bubbles! tomorrow :)

Back