Brewing the FAT TIRE

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewpilot

Reaction score
Bittering hops are in, aroma hops in a few minutes and my efficiency looks to be around 76%..... I cannot wait to get this in the fermenter. This is an AHS clone kit... anyone else bewing?

Brewpilot

No more brewdays for me until we finalize the paperwork on our new house. On the upside, no more apartment brewing for me. :ban:

Wish I could brew! SWMBO deploys on Tuesday so I'm kind of in limbo until then. Wanna spend every last minute with her.

Next up is the Pub Ale though, I wanted to have this drinkable by the Super Bowl but it will still be pretty green by then.

Finished the Fat Tire at 9pm, it is in the fermenting room at 64F and the yeast, it is propagatin'. Ran off 6.5 gallons, boiled er down to 5.5 gallons, got 5 gallons into the fermenter after leaving the break and hops behind. OG is 1.055 and it is supposed to finish around 1.013 or so. 75-76% efficiency tonight, my mash actually ran at 152F for 1:45 minutes since I went out to get the propane tank refilled. Seems to have done nicely though. I have alot of hops left over from the clone kit though, I will have to get another brew ready to go when this one goes to the secondary so that I can pitch onto the yeast cake. Brew on! :rockin: :tank: :mug:

Ahhhhh, Fat Tire. I lived in Fort Collins a few years back, and I still think of that beer. Sadly, I am in Canada now, and it is virtually impossible to find. I think the New Belgium brewing company is a really under-rated brewery. I guess they get over-shadowed by Flying Dog a lot.

Anyways, love to hear how your kit works out when you finally crack the keg/first bottle!

Fat Tire brewday stats....

5 lbs of Munich
4.5 lbs 2-Row
.5 lbs Crystal 90L
.25 lbs Victory
3 oz Biscuit

Mashed at 153F for an hour and 45 minutes
Mashout at 163F for 15 minutes (limits of 5gal mash tun for infusion)
Sparge water was 175F
Initial runoff was 1.078
Final Runoff was 1.010
Total Runoff was 6.5 gallons @ 1.045
Efficiency 78%

Boiled for 60 minutes
.75 oz Northern Brewer pellets @ 60 min
.5 oz Hersbrucker pellets @ 15 min
.25 oz Willamette pellets @ 5 min
1 tsp. Irish moss @ 15 min

Final gravity was 1.055 @ 68F with 5.5 gallons

Rehydrated 11g of Nottingham by Danstar in 91F water for 15 min. Infused with .5 oz of cooled wort at 5 minute intervals thereafter (4x). Pitched yeast at 64F with airlock activity beginning within 13 hours.

Loaf of spent grain bread in the oven as we speak for dinner with the inlaws this evening. Happy brewing everyone!

Brewpilot

Boy that sounds good. But I am not familiar with Hersbrucker hops. What are they like and what made you choose them? Also, that seems like a long mash - what is the rationale behind it? Just curious.

Hey, welll this recipe is an all grainer from AHS... it turnedout great, all of the numbers were right on. The hersbrucker hops were just a part of the recipe, and are the FIRST hops that SWMBO actually liked the aroma of, in this case they were used for flavor in the boil.
The mash length, ha... well I mashed in and decided to go get my LP tank filled while it was mashing, the kid at the UHAUL store had some issues filling the tank... so it was a LONG mash, seemed to work well though, and we only lost 1-2 degrees during that time! This stuff smells SOOOOO good.... transferring to the secondary in a couple days and pitching another brew onto the cake.

Brewpilot

Fat Tire is in the secondary... WOW, preliminary taste, WOW, awesome! FG was 1.015, in line with beginning at 1.055. I am excited to get this into bottles in a couple weeks!!!

I am not sure why everyone is so in love with Fat Tire, I live in CO and am so sick of that beer, it really isn't all that good....sorry, no offense, but NBB makes much better beers (1554, 2 below) although I doubt AHS has kits for 2 Below...

I like Fat Tire a helluva lot. I'm going to crack my first bottle of the AHS extract version tonight... New Belgium has some excellent beers (and a few that aren't so great). Based on the preliminary tastes (before bottling), this one is going to be one of my staples...

Actually, I never drink Fat Tire anymore, but it's a great introductory beer for people that only drink BMC. It's flavorful without being really bitter or hoppy or strong tasting. All around, perhaps the best representative of an american amber ale I can think of.

Some New Belgium beers I really like, and some I really don't like, but I imagine that's pretty much a factor of style preference. 1554 and 2º Below are both tasty, but I also like their actual belgian style ales, and the Saison was pretty good too.

Either way, glad to hear your clone is coming along so well.

Brewpilot said:
Nice way to pee on someones parade... maybe you need another forum, anger management?

Brew

Not peeing on your parade, just saying i am not a fan of Fat Tire...sorry.:confused:

I hope yours comes out great and you enjoy it...maybe I was just turned off to it after a few too many skunky cases...

Brewpilot said:
Nice way to pee on someones parade... maybe you need another forum, anger management?

Brew
I believe I've seen him do it on other fat tire threads as well..................

Brewpilot said:
Anyone have an issue with me brewing an Oatmeal Stout next week?

Brewpilot

I don't like Oatmeal Stout......

j/k- good luck with it. Post your recipe, please? I'm thinking about trying a stout soon, but I haven't decided on what kind or a recipe.

Lorena

Fermentables
6.5 lbs. Crisp Maris Otter
1 lbs. Flaked Oats
0.5 lbs. Simpson's Roasted Barley
0.5 lbs. Simpson's Chocolate Malt
0.5 lbs. Simpsons Dark Crystal

Mash Schedule
153° F for 60 minutes
170° F for 10 minutes

Boil Additions
1 oz. Chinook (60 min)
Yeast
Wyeast #1084 Irish Ale Yeast.

ColoradoXJ13 said:
I am not sure why everyone is so in love with Fat Tire, I live in CO and am so sick of that beer, it really isn't all that good....sorry, no offense, but NBB makes much better beers (1554, 2 below) although I doubt AHS has kits for 2 Below...

Most people from Vermont say the exact same thing about Magic Hat #9. It's probably easy to get burned out on stuff that's readily available to you. Personally, I love Fat Tire--I like it even more since it's not available in my state. Same with Yuengling. Now if I could only get my hands on some Stone beers........

Latest posts

Back