Lets talk about Dumb Bunny Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SnickASaurusRex

Reaction score
This is an official bump. I would really like to see some critiques of this recipe. I am hoping to brew it soon and I have never formulated a stout before.

I would like to make a stout for my next brew. I will call it Dumb Bunny Stout. I've never done one before, but I have thumbed through a bunch of recipes.

This is where I am at right now.

5 - 7 lb 2 row
1 lb oats
1/2 lb Dextrin
1/2 lb 60L
1/2 lb 120L
1/2 lb chocolate malt
1/2 lb roasted
1/2 lb debittered

I was thinking about magnum because I have loads and it is a good clean hop.

I was also thinking about chocolate or esspresso or fruit, but I don't know yet.

That grain bill is not finalized, but rather a quick free flow of an idea I was having.

Please discuss and recommend, but I have to go back to work right now.

It doesn't violate the basics for a stout, although I'd probably ditch the C120L. With oats and dextrin malts both, you'll be able to walk on it.

Magnum would work fine. Shoot for 40-50 IBU.

I picked up some cocoa nibs from Morebeer a while back, and had a porter on 4oz of nibs for a week. It has a FANTASTIC chocolate aroma and flavor - like dry hopped, but chocolate. I wasn't thinking and dumped the nibs, but I'm going to try to get more than one use out of my other packet.

I pluged some numbers, and after some consideration, this is what I think I want to do:

2-row ------- 9 lb ---- 72%
Oats -------- 1 lb ---- 8%
Dextrine ---- .5 lb ---- 4%
C60L ------- .5 lb ---- 4%
Choco Malt - .5 lb ---- 4%
Roasted ---- .5 lb ---- 4%
Debittered -- .5 lb ---- 4%

Magnum -- 1 oz -- @ 60 min. -- 48 Ibu

Mash @ 155 F for 60 min

O.G. --- 1.062
F.G. --- 1.015
ABV --- 6.0%
IBU ---- 48
SRM --- 50
BU:GU - .77

I'm still considering some other flavorings; oak, espresso, vanilla, coco, fruit etc..

I don't really do the split batch thing. I get really commital about things, and cannot bare to split up my ideas. For me it is all or none.

I'll most likely do oak and cherry or vanilla and cocoa.

What would you guys do?

Back