Fully Automated Brewery Senior Design

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jgalati

Reaction score
Hey guys-

Long post, but I'd appreciate the read:

Background: This is my last semester in Electrical Engineering here at Purdue. I finished senior design last semester, but my senior design Prof. acquired funding through Texas Instruments to fully automate (read: add hops, grain, yeast by hand still), the HERMS brewing process. Given the funding, I've decided to do a second senior design :rockin:. I've also teamed up with 4 CS majors who are graduating this semester to design a mobile app that will parse BEER XML files to fully automate the brewing process, or allow the user to remote control their HERMS brewery from a smartphone.

I don't know if this will be open source yet, because we're debating about entering the project into Texas Instruments Beaglebone competition. Beaglebone is Texas Instruments' equivalent of the Raspberry Pi. Grand prize is $12,000 and last year a pig roaster won. I'm pretty sure this project would kick the crap out of any other project. If we decide not to enter, I'll make this project completely available to all of you.

There will also be a control panel on a computer monitor utalizing the HDMI output of the beaglebone. Everything will be controlled via a keyboard, or the webapp.

Anyway, I'll keep you posted throughout the semester. My goal is to make the project so simple that anyone without a degree in Computer Science or Electrical Engineering can do it. I'll put in the effort to make this stupid simple, I promise.

Granted, there will be a lot of writing, and eventually I'll summarize everything into a wiki which I hope will eventually be stickied. (lololol).

Next post will cover features.
/end background

1) Given a BeerXML file, uploaded via dropbox, the mobile app will parse the XML file, transfer it to the beaglebone, and the user will only have to put grain into the mill hopper, add hop additions during the boil (which the app will remind you to do), and add yeast at the end.

2) Given no BeerXML file, or if the user prefers doing the process them self, options will exist on both the mobile app and beaglebone HDMI interface to control each individual brewing process such as: heating strike water, mashing, recirculating, transfer to kettle, etc.

3) All valves will be edit: electric ball valve controlled (either 120V AC or 12V DC) I haven't decided.

4) Tubing will be 3/8" Silicon with 5/8" outside Diameter.

5) Fittings will all be 1/2".

6) Pumps will be DC. Now, I know many like March and Chugger pumps, but hear me out. With DC pumps, I can achieve 3GPM max at 0' of Head. In reality, the most head your pumps should see is maybe 2' if you're accounting for resistance in the tubing. Given that I never mash out at 3GPM, and transfering from kettle to fermenter isn't time sensitive, I've selected the US Solar 12V 3GPM pump. ALSO, with a DC pump, and flow rate sensors, I can MATCH flow rates of the Lauter Tun and the Mash Out by varying the voltages to the pumps. This means: you don't have to operate ball valves to match flow rates. Not that this is a big deal, but I think it's really freakin cool! I've been using the US Solar pump in my homebrewery, which consists of 1 Keggle for a HLT and a Kettle, a 5 Gallon rubbermaid cooler to store hot water, and a 10 gallon home depot mash tun. Also, pumps cost $70. Cheap as hell.

7) I'm designing this system for 15.5 gallon keggles. Now, If I have time, I'll try and make it possible to make this system scalable to 1 bbl, but I can't guarantee it.

8) Sensors I plan on using include: 5 digital thermometers for: 1 in HLT, 2 in Mash Tun (averaged out), 1 in Kettle, and 1 in output of wort chiller. Flow sensors throughout to measure speed of fluid transfer. Volume sensors in Kettle and HLT. (I may add a PH monitor to the kettle, but my water is so good in Oregon that it's just not worth it to me.)

9) Wort Chiller will NOT be a plate chiller (trying to be economical so everyone can implement this project). I'll be using 25' copper tubing, and a silicon hose to cover the tubing creating a counterflow chiller. (This is also easier to clean than plate chillers).

10) There will be a clean in place (CIP) function on the remote

11) Full integration between Brewtroller (arduino based), Beaglebone (linux based), and a webapp (java/html based). Realtime feedback on all temperature sensors, etc.

12) Ability to be mashing one beer while another beer is boiling in Kettle! I estimate this could save upwards of 2 hours per batch if timed correctly.

13) Oxygen aeration: I'd appreciate any ideas on this. I'd prefer NOT using an O2 cylinder, mainly because it's expensive and I want to keep this cheap for everyone.

14) Ability to use Natural Gas / Propane / Electric for heating. Ability to use a combination for heating. Pulse Width Modulation via SS Relays to maintain HLT temperature instead of valve control on a propane / natural gas burner. This means: Use gas to achieve desired temperature, then maintain temperature / boil via Electric. Another option is to have a regulator in front of the Kettle to maintain boil with gas, because it's definitely a cheaper heat source.

15) Control over mill by using a motor I stripped out of my old washing machine.

16) I will not be using a hard panel monitor to display the current status of the system. Instead, I will be displaying the current status on a custom GUI outputted onto a crappy old computer monitor via beaglebone.

17) Easy Easy Easy network connection between mobile app, beaglebone, and router.

18) Most importantly, please list any features I've forgotten to add, or features you'd like to see. I'm not offended if you don't like my ideas, because we can only improve through discussion. I'll post new features below here from now on.

I read almost all of this and found only one issue...

3) You shouldn't use solenoid valves, they actually end up clogging because of the sticky wort. you should use these electric ball valves instead- https://www.oscsys.com/store/valves

There are actually sources for brass versions to save some coin, instead of the stainless ones.

The 3/8" silicon makes a very tight seal on the 1/2" nipples. Using 3/8" silicon, I have never needed to use quick disconnects, etc. It reduces costs, and still forms a tight enough seal that it won't leak at 3-4PSI which is what the pumps can generate. Does that make sense?

The 3/8" silicon makes a very tight seal on the 1/2" nipples. Using 3/8" silicon, I have never needed to use quick disconnects, etc. It reduces costs, and still forms a tight enough seal that it won't leak at 3-4PSI which is what the pumps can generate. Does that make sense?

Yep. Thanks for the explanation. So instead of QDs you push the 3/8" tubing over a 1/2" barb?

I wouldn't trust it since I walk away from my brewery a lot.

FYI, you can push 1/2" ID tubing over 1/2" NPT threads (about 3/4") and get a similar tight seal without clamps.

I would use whatever kind of chiller is easier to automate use/cleaning/etc. At $2-3 per foot for silicon tubing a DIY CFC is not necessarily cheaper than a plate chiller which is <$100. If you use a garden hose for the CFC you might be able to save a few bucks.

I read almost all of this and found only one issue...

3) You shouldn't use solenoid valves, they actually end up clogging because of the sticky wort. you should use these electric ball valves instead- https://www.oscsys.com/store/valves

There are actually sources for brass versions to save some coin, instead of the stainless ones.

Small butterflys would be another choice, and butterflys would be more sanitary than ball valves

13) Oxygen aeration: I'd appreciate any ideas on this. I'd prefer NOT using an O2 cylinder, mainly because it's expensive and I want to keep this cheap for everyone.

hepa filter, aquarium air pump, S.S. Nozzel (just set this up this week) $34
http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/review/product/list/id/931/

if you have an airpump you can just buy parts ala carte

I would like to see a pH probe option for the Mash

Curious because I'm working on the same right now, how are you going to sense liquid levels?

Spintab: There are two ways I'm kicking the can around: the first is a pressure sensor located at the bottom of the keggle, which would be able to measure the pressure the water column exerted on the sensor. The other idea, is to insert a diptube on the entire inside of the keggle, and then measure the pressure of the air column. As the water level rises, it compresses the gas inside the dip tube, thereby telling you the liquid level has increased. Idk which one I'm using yet.

Spintab: There are two ways I'm kicking the can around: the first is a pressure sensor located at the bottom of the keggle, which would be able to measure the pressure the water column exerted on the sensor. The other idea, is to insert a diptube on the entire inside of the keggle, and then measure the pressure of the air column. As the water level rises, it compresses the gas inside the dip tube, thereby telling you the liquid level has increased. Idk which one I'm using yet.

Why not just use a Float sensor

Pressure sensor will vary with density (if used with wort)
water column with optical would be another way

This should be interesting to see what they come up with, there is a lot more to creating a fully automated system than slapping some solenoid valves on a controller.
As to pressure sensors for level measurement, I use wet pressure transmitters that work well if you have a temperature sensor and the correct formula to correct for density as temperature changes.

What about cleaning? That's the part that everyone of us would like to have automated.

Lopsy:
Cleaning will probably involve this process:
1) Assuming that grain and hops have been removed and it's the end of the brew day.
2) Add PBW to the kettle, and click the CIP button. The kettle will heat the PBW to around 170, and then begin transferring the solution throughout all the sections of tubing, including turning ball valves on and off so as to clean as thoroughly as possible. Once done, the system will drain as much of the PBW solution as you've mechanically allowed it to do: (read: how far down did you place your dip tube?). Once this is done, Water, which has been heating in the HLT at this time, will be pumped through all hosing to dissolve most of the remaining PBW. Literally flush all the tubing and valves out.

Can anyone shed light on potential problems with this CIP method? Obviously you have to lift the MLT to remove grain, and remove hops from the kettle by hand... but any other ideas would be swell.

If you are trying to keep costs reasonable, try to keep the number of pumps, valves, and sensors to a minimum.

A mechanical (or optical) float switch is not as flashy but is cheap and effective. I have seen a couple people use load cells to measure weight and thus volume of the vessels.

I haven't seen it used for brewing but some type of simple check valve might allow you to turn the pump on/off to control flow and prevent a siphon without additional valves.

If you are trying to keep costs reasonable, try to keep the number of pumps, valves, and sensors to a minimum.

A mechanical (or optical) float switch is not as flashy but is cheap and effective. I have seen a couple people use load cells to measure weight and thus volume of the vessels.

I haven't seen it used for brewing but some type of simple check valve might allow you to turn the pump on/off to control flow and prevent a siphon without additional valves.

load cells work great if nothing is moving

This is probably one of the better ideas I've ever heard for a Senior Design. And congrats, is this your last semester?

Purdue -- Huh. I'll give you a break as long as you didn't go to Depauw! Caveat Lector: any ideas that you garner here could be construed as "prior art" in any patent challenge.

Given a BeerXML file, uploaded via dropbox, the mobile app will parse the XML file, transfer it to the beaglebone
Third party app upon which you'll need to depend. A simple http server is trivial to implement, will be under your full control, and have less impediment to adoption.

and the user will only have to put grain into the mill hopper, add hop additions during the boil (which the app will remind you to do), and add yeast at the end.
What about a "hop manifold" where you load up your hops and at specified intervals small solenoid valves open the corresponding hop hopper and into the boil? That'd be high on the cool factor.

3) All valves will be edit: electric ball valve controlled (either 120V AC or 12V DC) I haven't decided.
+1 on ball rather than solenoid.

You'll want 1/2" ID / 5/8" OD. Frankly, I'd prefer hard plumbed to simplify cleaning. Not much more expensive that silicone. OK that's not accurate but it's easier to clean.

6) Pumps will be DC.
That wouldn't be my choice but your mind seems to be made up.

8) Sensors I plan on using include: 5 digital thermometers for: 1 in HLT, 2 in Mash Tun (averaged out), 1 in Kettle, and 1 in output of wort chiller. Flow sensors throughout to measure speed of fluid transfer. Volume sensors in Kettle and HLT. (I may add a PH monitor to the kettle, but my water is so good in Oregon that it's just not worth it to me.)
What T sensors are you using? RTD are optimal but can be difficult to deal with. DS1820s are trivial but lack the resolution, timing, and range I like (I use them regardless).

9) Wort Chiller will NOT be a plate chiller (trying to be economical so everyone can implement this project). I'll be using 25' copper tubing, and a silicon hose to cover the tubing creating a counterflow chiller. (This is also easier to clean than plate chillers).
Ugh. PCs are just so efficient and space conscience. And since your hop hopper will be dumping into a 400 micron spider clogging isnt and issue. AND it's just so simple to "T" in a temp sensor. I'd prefer a WC but it's your project.

Really? Not with DC pumps there wont be. Most CIP balls require like a bazillion GPM flow rate and accompanying pressure. What are your plans for that and were are you putting the CIP balls? Recircing PBW then StarSan works pretty well.

11) Full integration between Brewtroller (arduino based), Beaglebone (linux based), and a webapp (java/html based). Realtime feedback on all temperature sensors, etc.
Nice

12) Ability to be mashing one beer while another beer is boiling in Kettle! I estimate this could save upwards of 2 hours per batch if timed correctly.
That's not really ground breaking. 60 amps will get you there (I like it notwithstanding).

O2 is cheap as chips in those red cylinders from your local big box store. Hell I think they may have them at wally world. Not like you need a lot of it. Granted, you need a regulator and other bits & bobs.

14) Ability to use Natural Gas / Propane / Electric for heating. Ability to use a combination for heating. Pulse Width Modulation via SS Relays to maintain HLT temperature instead of valve control on a propane / natural gas burner. This means: Use gas to achieve desired temperature, then maintain temperature / boil via Electric. Another option is to have a regulator in front of the Kettle to maintain boil with gas, because it's definitely a cheaper heat source.
Wow, biting off a lot here. I'd settle on electricity as everyone has it. Greatest common denominator and all that.

15) Control over mill by using a motor I stripped out of my old washing machine.
You'll need a few sheaves.

16) I will not be using a hard panel monitor to display the current status of the system. Instead, I will be displaying the current status on a custom GUI outputted onto a crappy old computer monitor via beaglebone.
As in a CRT monitor?? Seems to be penny wise pound foolish when you can get a 20" monitor for what, $20?

17) Easy Easy Easy network connection between mobile app, beaglebone, and router.
What is the network connection you're recommending??

As for measuring volume, the bubbler solution is fairly well accepted. Weight is something else although not sure how you'd pull it off. I'd like to see a valve at the plate chiller so once the exit temp of the chiller is at pitching temps the wort is diverted to the fermenter.

It is. This is my second senior design. Last semesters was a different project but we were only allowed to use analog components, like nand/ nor gates, lm555 timers, resistors, caps, and a 1980s analog camera to spot small metal objects on a 12x12 black felt and then moving a crane attached with an electromagnet. Stepper motors controlled the crane.

TL;DR last semesters project sucked compared to this one!!

Very cool. Good luck.
BTW, I'm a TIer. So put our money to some good use :)

:mug:

Subscribed...very interested in this. Side note I'm not far from W. Lafayette, NW corner of Indianapolis.

I've been avoiding pressure related level sensing. All of them require an open tube in wort which screams sanitary issues to me. Considering soldering a chain of reed switches together to make something like a multilevel float switch.

Sent from my XT1058 using Home Brew mobile app

FYI, you can push 1/2" ID tubing over 1/2" NPT threads (about 3/4") and get a similar tight seal without clamps.

I would use whatever kind of chiller is easier to automate use/cleaning/etc. At $2-3 per foot for silicon tubing a DIY CFC is not necessarily cheaper than a plate chiller which is <$100. If you use a garden hose for the CFC you might be able to save a few bucks.

I was thinking of using silicon, because I could reclaim some heat and then transfer that water to the HLT where I could use it to either clean the pipes, or use it for the next mash. This is what they do on the commercial scale, but I haven't looked at whether or not it makes financial sense for the homebrewer.

Anyone done the math on this yet?

I was thinking of using silicon, because I could reclaim some heat and then transfer that water to the HLT where I could use it to either clean the pipes, or use it for the next mash. This is what they do on the commercial scale, but I haven't looked at whether or not it makes financial sense for the homebrewer.

Anyone done the math on this yet?

use the hot water created from a chiller, and divert to the hot liquor tank for your next batch

Someone tell me if I'm being paranoid, but filling the hlt with warm water from a cheap garden hose isn't sanitary?

i'll wade in with my opions too :D Firstly congratulations on getting to final year!
General I would say consider if there are any mechnical/process elements to the design that could be passed of to another department's students for their design project - that will take the hassle off of you. Also is their any workshops (that are experienced with SS and Food & beverage work) that have an association with the university and could "donate" some time for anything that needs to be fabricated, in exchange for getting to brew on the gear and their name in lights :D
Also really sit down and map out what you want from the end project, and by end I don't mean what you can get done in a semester/year... consider the project as something that will be passed off to next years students to implement something new. Some of my suggestions will probably fall into this catagory. Select what you want to (and can) do in the time you have but document the future ideas/concepts.
1) Given a BeerXML file, uploaded via dropbox, the mobile app will parse the XML file, transfer it to the beaglebone, and the user will only have to put grain into the mill hopper, add hop additions during the boil (which the app will remind you to do), and add yeast at the end.
Automatic hop additions would be cool... one step further automatic grain and hop weighing from hoppers, this would be a good future extension.
2) Given no BeerXML file, or if the user prefers doing the process them self, options will exist on both the mobile app and beaglebone HDMI interface to control each individual brewing process such as: heating strike water, mashing, recirculating, transfer to kettle, etc.
Could the main UI be the second part of your comment, with the ability to import the BeerXML into it to autopopulate the feilds?
If you can I would go 12VDC just for safety's sake
Consider hardpiping with SS tube - check out if you can get donated/subsidised fittings,etc. from a local supplier
5) Fittings will all be 1/2".

6) Pumps will be DC. Now, I know many like March and Chugger pumps, but hear me out. With DC pumps, I can achieve 3GPM max at 0' of Head. In reality, the most head your pumps should see is maybe 2' if you're accounting for resistance in the tubing. Given that I never mash out at 3GPM, and transfering from kettle to fermenter isn't time sensitive, I've selected the US Solar 12V 3GPM pump. ALSO, with a DC pump, and flow rate sensors, I can MATCH flow rates of the Lauter Tun and the Mash Out by varying the voltages to the pumps. This means: you don't have to operate ball valves to match flow rates. Not that this is a big deal, but I think it's really freakin cool! I've been using the US Solar pump in my homebrewery, which consists of 1 Keggle for a HLT and a Kettle, a 5 Gallon rubbermaid cooler to store hot water, and a 10 gallon home depot mash tun. Also, pumps cost $70. Cheap as hell.
From what I have read the 12VDC pumps do not reduce speed with reduced voltage and potentially running at lower voltages will burn out the motor, Just confirm that your control method will work. I have seen some info that Ac pumps can be "speed" controlled by PWM with no ill effect, but not 100% sure a PSC motor can be controlled long term for this (I have done it but my motor hasn't blown up yet so I don't know if it will keep going :D). Someone at Uni should be able to advise more.
Future project could be to actually look at making a low cost modulated control valve based of the OSCSys style
7) I'm designing this system for 15.5 gallon keggles. Now, If I have time, I'll try and make it possible to make this system scalable to 1 bbl, but I can't guarantee it.
I don't think you should worry yourself too much on scaling up - since you will be dealing mostly with the control side of things for the project bigger batch means bigger gear but the control will stay pretty much the same.
Do research on the volume sensing methods and their lmitations... then tell us what you think is the best :D
How are you going to do flowrate sensing?
A detailed PFD/P&ID will help you visualise where your instrumentation is and if you have to much / to little.
As a "fun" exicise consider running a HAZOP to give you some experince in them - this project would be pretty well suited for one to be done. Contact a local Engineering consulatant and I bet you they'll have someone that can spare a few hours to come out and talk you guys through it. It will give you something extra for your report/presnetation at the end.
Again don't try and design this to use specific equipment just so others can use it - a heat exchanger is a heat exchanger, if you cosider a tube-in-tube to be best for your porpose use it, but it will make no differnce if someone wants to use a plate chiller for theirs.
As mentioned above the "solarpumps" will not run a sprayball effectively, even a standard 815 March/chugger will struggle. I would go with a SS chugger and consider something a bit stronger than PBW if you want a good clean. 2% caustic soda should be good, just make sure you take all the precaustions. Future project automatic CIP kitching for the brewery!
What is the brewtroller doing in this? Look at the brewtroller source code for ideas but I don't see any benifit from being able to talk to one. Or are you using the brewtroller to control the brewery as per it's standard package and the Beaglebones to do the extras?
Instead of time savin, maybe look at energy savings with heat recover (Someone mentioned it, using the hot cooling water as strike water in the next back), markers will give you more bonus pioints for being energy efficient than saving time
Again design for what you want to do and others can either use it or not. I would guess the uni has a supply of oxygen so use that.
Are you sure propane is a cheaper heat source? I would not mix gas with permenatly mounted electrical due to the need to watch where you cables are located and sheiled. Go electrical - easy to implement control of the heat source
Maybe leave this one out of the project and others can develop a mill speed control in future. Just state the projects boundry is milled grain is feed to the system.

18) Most importantly, please list any features I've forgotten to add, or features you'd like to see. I'm not offended if you don't like my ideas, because we can only improve through discussion. I'll post new features below here from now on.

Again really sit down and detail what the limits of the project are and make sure you can do everything you set out to do in the time you have... if not take something out. Keep in mind to try and hand this project to the next year, you may find that you started the Purdue University Microbrewy :D

Have fun :ban:
(and sorry if I sound like a dick in any of that!)

Edit: After reading some of you other replies - is this going to be located at the uni or in you house? I would suggest pushing for it to be the university's property as you will get more support if it is tied specifically to the univesity and potentially has multiple years of input into it.

Someone tell me if I'm being paranoid, but filling the hlt with warm water from a cheap garden hose isn't sanitary?

It's sanitary as in you can drink it and not get sick. The probelm is the water gets tainted with a rubber taste. Go outside and drink some and you'll not want to use that to brew with :D

The OP is being very, very self deferential. Purdue University is one of the countries top tier engineering schools. There will be no shortage of expertise there. Not to mention Blichmann Engineering is a ten minutes away across the Wabash River (maybe they could help out with some bling!)

A thought regarding pump speed -- why couldn't you just put an electric ball valve on the output side of a chugger/march to control flow rate? It's how we do it now albeit with a manual 1/4 turn valve.

Have you been given a budget for this project?

For the software part -- I would look to roll your own. Host the entire control system on an el-cheapo microATX box running linux. Tiny and fast.

Just another thread that makes me wish I'd gone to engineering instead of biochemistry. One can learn to brew great beer without a biochem degree, but brewing is very much an engineering task.

The one place a solenoid valve might make sense over a ball valve is if you're going to have one for water fill.

The solenoid valve shuts off immediately versus the 10-15 seconds a ball valve takes to close.

The OP is being very, very self deferential. Purdue University is one of the countries top tier engineering schools. There will be no shortage of expertise there. Not to mention Blichmann Engineering is a ten minutes away across the Wabash River (maybe they could help out with some bling!)

A thought regarding pump speed -- why couldn't you just put an electric ball valve on the output side of a chugger/march to control flow rate? It's how we do it now albeit with a manual 1/4 turn valve.

Have you been given a budget for this project?

For the software part -- I would look to roll your own. Host the entire control system on an el-cheapo microATX box running linux. Tiny and fast.

I would say for the control hardware since he say TI has sponsered the project that they are supplying a Beagleboard / BeagleBones Black.
I would also bet that Blichmann would be all over this! Good suggestion.

i just had a quick look to see if PWM is doable on a PSC motor and it seems like it is, using a SSR would help with the inductaive load as it will only switch off when the current is at (or close) to 0A... but someone who knows more about electrical/electronics stuff would be better to advise, someone like a final year electrical engineering student :D

Back