The Home Made Pizza Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Are you talking about the rectangular clay tubes? Or is there a flat version?

There is a flat version as far as I know. They arent that popular around here (haha) but they are more of less exactly like a typical pizza stone you would find for a lot more. I think Alton Brown is a proponent of going this route.

There is a flat version as far as I know. They arent that popular around here (haha) but they are more of less exactly like a typical pizza stone you would find for a lot more. I think Alton Brown is a proponent of going this route.

See, all you had to say is Alton Brown advocates for it and I'm willing to try...gotta love a food nerd :)

Anyone know how the aluminum peels do in regards to the dough sticking compared to wood ones? I make pretty wet dough and sometimes by the time I put it in the oven it begins to stick to my wood peel even though I flour the surface, once in a blue moon it can really cause a problem.

Anyone know how the aluminum peels do in regards to the dough sticking compared to wood ones? I make pretty wet dough and sometimes by the time I put it in the oven it begins to stick to my wood peel even though I flour the surface, once in a blue moon it can really cause a problem.

I dont, but one thing to mention is my wood peel has cracked considerably (still servicable but somewhat... rustic looking). I wouldnt be surprised if its not functionality but rather durability that causes the pizzarias to use an aluminum peel...

I've never used an aluminum peel but I can say with 100% certainty that for wet dough parchment paper is your friend.

:mug:

way back in the thread I seen mention from Evret about using brown rice flour on the peel. I have been using it instead of flour/cornstarch and that baby slides right off like I knew what I was doing everytime!

Is it less hygroscopic?

way back in the thread I seen mention from Evret about using brown rice flour on the peel. I have been using it instead of flour/cornstarch and that baby slides right off like I knew what I was doing everytime!

I just picked some up last night for this weekend - glad to see it works. My wife was not happy when i snapped my wrist a little too hard and got cheese and sausage all over the oven...

Is it less hygroscopic?

I guess, more so than flour. Plus side is that it is a lot more course than flour but not as course as corn meal. I made a few pies that were on the moist side and had no problem sliding them off the peel with a mountain of toppings. I use the rice flour liberally, It imparts little to no taste on the finished pizza.
Hope it helps!

I just picked some up last night for this weekend - glad to see it works. My wife was not happy when i snapped my wrist a little too hard and got cheese and sausage all over the oven...

I have only had one complete fail, front part stuck to the peel while the back half was loose, successfully upending the pizza onto the stone. Suffice to say, there was a lot of smoke and profanity.

As for peels, wood for launching and aluminum for retrieving. As for rice flour,i prefer white rice flour, but only because that's what I've always used. I guess brown works too, though I've never tried it. Perhaps there's a difference in flavor? The white is pretty neutral.

I've got tons of pictures. I just lose track of which ones I've already posted and tend to just post new ones as I take them.

As for peels, wood for launching and aluminum for retrieving. As for rice flour,i prefer white rice flour, but only because that's what I've always used. I guess brown works too, though I've never tried it. Perhaps there's a difference in flavor? The white is pretty neutral.

Even with using my wood peel for launching I've had the dough stick a bit more than I'd like with bread flour. I probably let it sit too long though prior to launch. The store I went to last night only had brown rice flour - I'm sure it'll be fairly neutral as well.

I'm cooking well past the temp limit of the paper (400) so that isn't an option unfortunately

So am I Bensiff, do as Mtnagel suggests and it will be fine, trust me. I usually remove the parchment paper a few minutes into the cook anyway, but it does not burn as I also initially feared it would.

Beer dough pizza.. ham, double cheese, bacon, pepperoni, nothing fancy. really tasty thou, we fed the neighbors with the other one.

DSCF1993.jpg

This entire thread is awesome on so many levels; my pizza making has improved significantly as a direct result of reading what you folks have done. Just wanted to say thanks for sharing your knowledge & raising the pizza quality bar.
Regards, GF. :mug:

Corn meal - nature's ball bearings!

And that's all I have to say about that...

i guess i didnt get a picture of the first one but here is the second. basic sauce with pepperoni, 3 pepper cheddar that is damn spicey, and some good ole mozzarella. first time using active yeast and not self rising dough, already love the difference in the way the crust cooks!

2013-07-05 19.47.01 (1).jpg

Not a great picture, but whatever; the pie was delicious, so here we go. That's fresh oregano from the garden sprinkled over the top after it came out of the oven, and you can't see the green bell peppers and jalapenos from the same garden under all the cheese, but good lord...

2013-06-30 22.46.03.jpg

First attempt at making pizza on the grill. Just a simple cheese and pepperoni on homemade crust. Came out nicely. I added some wood chips to the smoker box to see if it would impart a more wood fired taste. I'll know here shortly.

image-2228005503.jpg

After being in the debate forum, can I just say that there is something unbelievably beautiful about the fact that no one hates a good pizza?

After being in the debate forum, can I just say that there is something unbelievably beautiful about the fact that no one hates a good pizza?

Oh people have probably died over the thin crust/thick crust debate.

I remember a co-worker eagerly awaiting my response when I was asked which I prefer one time......

Not a great picture, but whatever; the pie was delicious, so here we go. That's fresh oregano from the garden sprinkled over the top after it came out of the oven, and you can't see the green bell peppers and jalapenos from the same garden under all the cheese, but good lord...

Appears to be one of the better pies on this thread. Post a picture of your crumb structure

Back