Green beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carsonwarstler

Reaction score
Curious as to how people would describe the flavor of "green" beer? Also, how would you describe a "yeasty" beer? Do the two flavors coincide?

This is how I explain it to my friends and why I wait so long to drink my beer. Green beer is like a symphony with everyone playing a different song and a matured beer, they all are playing together.

i would say that, green beer is missing everything that you would be expecting from a finished beer. so if it tastes bitter, bready, under carbonated, flat, grassy, and just no life or body.. thats a green profile. everyone has different taste experiences. This is how i would explain a green taste.

I've brewed about 10 extract and 5 AG batches so far, I'd say nearly all have a similar characteristic. I describe it as sweet, but it's not fruit-estery sweet and I don't think it's along the lines of acetaldehyde green apple flavor; so I can't pinpoint it. The last 2 beers I've made were AG and I kegged them both. The flavor seemed to go away after 3-4 weeks in the keg... Does anyone think its just green? In the back of my mind Im thinking the flavor is still there but Im used to the beer so I ignore it. Anyway to speed it up, haha a month after kegging is hard to do when I've only got 1 keg on tap.

Green beer is one where the malt & hop flavors taste isn't very developed. The hops taste kinda sharp & the malt flavor will be kinda light in the sneakers compared to a mature one. The flavors seem kinda confused & run together to me while "green".

unionrdr said:
Green beer is one where the malt & hop flavors taste isn't very developed. The hops taste kinda sharp & the malt flavor will be kinda light in the sneakers compared to a mature one. The flavors seem kinda confused & run together to me while "green".

I like that description. They do seemed confused.

I was doin some head scratching to come up with an adequete description of what it tastes like to me. Guess I got it pretty close. The flavors do seem confused. But not quite as much with the partial mash I'm gunna bottle today. The hops in that one taste fresher,like it's closer to finished beer. But the malt flavors are still light compared to the finished product's flavor profile.

A yeasty beer tastes or smells like the lees at the bottom of your bottle. Yeast can also impart other characteristics, depending on the strain. A yeasty beer can tastes buttery, or have fruity esters. Some styles may have a banana and clove taste.

ludomonster said:
A yeasty beer tastes or smells like the lees at the bottom of your bottle. Yeast can also impart other characteristics, depending on the strain. A yeasty beer can tastes buttery, or have fruity esters. Some styles may have a banana and clove taste.

I think what I'm tasting is in part what unionrdr is takling about with malt flavors, not quite strong enough, which allows me to taste more of the yeast in the beer. This makes some sense. I'm going to bite the bullets and let the oktoberfest (late blooming, I know but first lager so) and brown ale that I just kegged sit for at least 3 weeks. Tasting a half pint every couple of days.

Does anyone know of a way to speed up this process of waiting? I would think a harder cold crash would work but I'm always looking for cool tricks

Back