Spice, Herb, or Vegetable Beer Jalapeno Cream Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thoughts about racking this onto a cake of US-05? I have a red ale that will be finished with primary and should have a nice cake left (OG 1.052)?

I've had much better success with dry yeast and would like to stick with Safale if possible.

should be just fine. i racked onto nottingham and am not worried about it.

So I have this nottingham yeast cake left over from this batch (bottling next week). I really have had good luck w/ this yeast (blond ale, now this one)... it tears through these ales in like 2 days.

What are some ideas for pitching onto it? I'm sure there will be some leftover jalapeno taste. I'm thinking a nice healthy american pale ale, just to keep it clean and see how the left over jalapeno acts. thoughts?

Just brewed Jalapeno batch #3. After a phenomenal debut, the second one went off track somehow.

So, now I'm hoping that this one turns out like the first. I no chilled this batch so had to make no chill hop adjustments. My mash temp might have been a little low at around 148-150 and my yield came in low too (started off with preboil of 6 g went I wanted 6.5. And I used Saaz hops instead of Hallertau like I've done before because I just ran out.

So, a couple question marks but I'm still hopeful that this one will work out because it is such a great brew and everyone's looking forward to it. Will report back in a few weeks! Cheers

Do you roast and soak all of the pepper the day before brewing, then leave half there until time to add them to secondary, or do your roast/soak again the day before secondary?

Do you roast and soak all of the pepper the day before brewing, then leave half there until time to add them to secondary, or do your roast/soak again the day before secondary?

I roasted & soaked them all, used half for boiling. Kept in the cup then used the rest after secondary. i had such little vodka left in the cup (half a shot) that I added it all to the fermenter anyway.

PS: this really *is* one of the best i've made. Mine turned out lighter than intended due to dilution, but it is still very tasty and dangerously drinkable. At 4.5% it is loved by all.

Next time I'm upping the peppers so they come a bit more forward, but I was very happily surprised with how much them did end up coming forward with only 4 peppers per my 4gal batch.

Just made this recipe for my second all grain batch ever. I messed up the order of the hops, hope it turns out. I guess I should limit the beer when brewing...

Just made this recipe for my second all grain batch ever. I messed up the order of the hops, hope it turns out. I guess I should limit the beer when brewing...

your not even going to notice the hops
it will be great :mug:

Did a batch of this per the recipe, one of the best beers I've made- great roasted jalapeno flavor and a light spice flavor. Thanks for the recipe!

Just kegged and tasted the beer. I can taste the roasted flavor but no spice. I put four peppers in the boil and three in the secondary for 11 days. The beer has good flavor, but I will definitely add more peppers to the secondary next time.

Give it time. It roasts up after a few weeks. Did you add vodka?

I'd agree - give it time. If you soaked your "dry" jalepenos in vodka - was the vodka spicy? If you could taste the heat in the vodka, it's going to be there in your beer, just wait on it a little.

Ok, my gravity is sitting at 1.009 right now so it's time to move forward. But I had left three jalapenos in the vodka after brewing and now am wondering if it's a good idea or not to add them to the beer. They've been soaking for 3 weeks.

I either add these peppers or get a new batch to roast and add. Just don't want to ruin this tasty beer

Yes, the vodka was very spicy. I already kegged and tossed the peppers so it's probably too late. Think it's possible to add spice to the keg?

I just read all 14 pages of this page, and this is a brew I'm INCREDIBLY interested in brewing. It'll probably end up being my first all-grain batch, but I don't have all of the equipment for it. I'll probably try to figure out the "brew in a bag" method specifically for this!

This thread inspired me to try something like this. I don't do all-grain yet, but I used Norther Brewer's Speckled Heifer Cream Ale partial mash kit (I did BIAB) and added jalapenos as described in the above recipe. I just used 2 in the boil (I used the whole pepper, including seeds and all) and two cut and scraped in secondary for 6 days. The NB kit is a bit lighter (1.042) than the OP's recipe, so I wanted to go on the low end of heat to ensure it would still be balanced. I kegged this about a week and a half ago and it was quite a bit hotter than I was expecting, but still drinkable. I think it might be mellowing out a little bit. I think next time I might scrape the guts out of one of the peppers that goes into the boil to cool things down a little bit. The Speckled Heifer kit does lend itself well to this and I now want to try it by itself. I think it would be a great summertime lawmower beer and/or an easy beer to convert those new to craft beer.

I just kicked my keg of this beer last night, bummer! It is a really great beer and I save it for Cinco De Mayo every year. I chose to go a bit easier on the heat this time, never had to add any jalapeno after fermentation. The heat and aroma/flavor was just enough from the late boil additions. This beer turned out to be the clearest ever for me, looked like a commercial brew!!! I normally don't care about such things, but it was impressive. What a great recipe, I look forward to it again next year!

Just like to add my .02. I just brewed a batch yesterday with a different recipe, partial mash recipe.

for a 5 gallon batch:
1.5lbs 2 row Carapils
1.5lbs 6 row Carapils
1.5lbs Flaked corn
3lbs extra light dry malt extract
.75oz East Kent Golding (60min)
.25oz East Kent Golding (30min)
.25oz East Kent Golding (10min)
White Labs Cream Ale Yeast WLP080
7-10 Jalapanos

steep grains at 150-155 degrees for 30 min. add dry malt with 20 min left in boil. I added 3 grilled/vodka blanched jalapenos sliced in half with seeds and core removed. I would have added more but it was all I had on hand. I plan on adding around 5 more to the secondary. I plan on tasting every few days and adding more to get heat/flavor to my liking. This is my first attempt at a jalapeno beer so i will report back when its finished. I too love the Wasatch Jalapeno Cream Ale at the Wasatch Brew Pub in Park City, UT. I am hoping mine is similar in nature.

Brew on,
Dean

Planning on brewing this tonight.

Im probably going to smoke the Jalapenos. I also have about a pound of smoked malt left over from a previous brew, and was thinking about throwing that in as well. Any thoughts?

I brewed this beer this afternoon. So far its tasting pretty good. Looking forward to poring a pint in a few weeks!

I think I'm going to do this beer, but I think I might add some candied Mango from Trader Joe's to the last 5 mins of the boil. Just to add a touch of sweetness. Sound to crazy?

I think I'm going to do this beer, but I think I might add some candied Mango from Trader Joe's to the last 5 mins of the boil. Just to add a touch of sweetness. Sound to crazy?

I would use Habaneros if you want to mix the Mango. The Habaneros are naturally sweeter and go better and ballance each other out easier. (Yes i said sweet. Strip the "Heat" out of one and try it) I would soak the Habaneros in Vodka and add to secondary "to taste" to make sure its not going to be too hot and balance out the Mango. Its Tricky because a little goes a long way...

Oooh... Mango Habanero IPA.... I think i may have a new beer to add to my "brew" list.

Brewing a jalapeno blonde ale tomorrow, I roasted the jalapeno's last night and they are currently soaking in vodka. I am going to try to add all of the jalapenos post-fermentation so I can split my 10 gallon batch (not sure if I will be able to go through 10 gallons of chile beer). I'll follow up with notes in a few weeks on how it turned out.

This recipe just took best of show at the 2012 Brewers Cup, part of the Indiana State Fair. Not my win, but I did help brew it.

Yep, just brewed this with ^ and it took first place in class and best in show!!

Most of the comments from the judges appreciated the lack of heat this beer had and how clear the whorfloc made it. Overall fantastic recipe!!

I just kegged 5 gallons of a jalapeno blonde ale. I roasted 7 jalapeno's, after removing all of the seeds, and soaked in a cup of vodka. I let the peppers soak in vodka for a couple of weeks and added them and the vodka to the carboy after fermentation was complete. I am not getting any heat from peppers but plenty of jalapeno flavor. Next time I think I'll leave the seeds in a couple of the peppers to add some heat. Overall it is pretty good but I wish there was a little more heat behind it. SWMBO is loving it though, that's always a plus!

My wife has a massive dragon pepper plant growing. Think we're going to try this beer using them.... not sure if my butthole is ready for it though.

1200 posts.... need a life

This seems like a stupid question but do the Jalapeño's from the boil go into the fermenter or or are they pulled out prior?

Thanks, I'm looking forward to brewing this today.

BLM said:
they are pulled out prior like the hops

Awesome, Thanks for the reply!

The brew day went well. Threw in 4 Jalapeños but didn't feel a whole lotta burn when I tasted my gravity check. Going to throw in 3 more after the secondary and possibly add some of the vodka as well.

3D6ED2F6-1E2B-4279-AA46-50786C31018D-560-000000E65C05FF89_zpse9183f31.jpg

Brewed a 10 gallon batch following this recipe and although it calls for only jalapeno, screw it, I'm brewing the beer. I threw in 7 jalapeno, 2 manzano and a poblano; all roasted by my propane torch. This is one fantastic beer. The aroma and taste is subtle, but identifiable. The heat is something that sneaks up on you and by the time you finish a pint, your mouth is definitely a bit tingly. Definitely doing this again.

Someone posted an extract conversion of this on page two (using the app) and it goes like this:

replace the grains using 5.0lbs Extra Light DME
.5lbs. Dextrine
.61lbs. table sugar

I that it? No corn or Vienna malt? Anyone else tried an extract version? I think it was beerphonic that posted an extract recipe they came up with but there wasn't an update. I'd love to do AG, just don't have the setup

So I just cracked the first beer of this batch after about a week of bottle conditioning to check it and it's pretty good. I did add a bit of the tincture and can taste a bit of the vodka. Should I expect that to mellow a bit? It did add quite a bit of heat though. Wow!

So I just cracked the first beer of this batch after about a week of bottle conditioning to check it and it's pretty good. I did add a bit of the tincture and can taste a bit of the vodka. Should I expect that to mellow a bit? It did add quite a bit of heat though. Wow!

Give it sime time to get happy. I've made this beer twice and will make it again. It gets better with age if you can keep it in stock that long.

snyklez said:
Someone posted an extract conversion of this on page two (using the app) and it goes like this:

replace the grains using 5.0lbs Extra Light DME
.5lbs. Dextrine
.61lbs. table sugar

I that it? No corn or Vienna malt? Anyone else tried an extract version? I think it was beerphonic that posted an extract recipe they came up with but there wasn't an update. I'd love to do AG, just don't have the setup

Anyone got any advice?

snyklez said:
Anyone got any advice?

Well I'd say you can't really steep Vienna, corn or dextrine on their own. If you did a partial mash you could use all 3 and add a pound of 2 or 6 row to increase the diastatic power. Vienna is a base malt but I don't think it will be enough for the corn on its own.

Back