Ginger Ale taste in beer lines

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fusa

Reaction score
I made a ginger ale several weeks ago and had it on tap in my kegerator. Now the porter I have on tap has a slight ginger ale taste and aroma. Before putting the porter on tap, I ran about 5 gallons of water with 1 Tbs of iodopher mixed to sanitize the lines. What is the best way to get rid of the ginger ale taste/aroma?

fusa said:
I made a ginger ale several weeks ago and had it on tap in my kegerator. Now the porter I have on tap has a slight ginger ale taste and aroma. Before putting the porter on tap, I ran about 5 gallons of water with 1 Tbs of iodopher mixed to sanitize the lines. What is the best way to get rid of the ginger ale taste/aroma?

Hot water and oxyclean has worked well for me. Run some thru the lines, then let it sit for a few hours and flush it out. There is also acid line cleaner made specifically for cleaning beer lines too if oxyclean doesn't work. Worst case would be to get new beer line and only use the old line for ginger ale.

I've had similar problems with root beer lingering in lines and in the keg, but a double wash and triple rinse with oxyclean has worked several times for me.

I learned to always keep soda lines separate, as root beer is even worse than ginger ale! I just never was able to get the odor/taste out of the lemon-lime soda line either.

I learned to always keep soda lines separate, as root beer is even worse than ginger ale! I just never was able to get the odor/taste out of the lemon-lime soda line either.

Same here. Well, that was until I switched to barrier tubing.

Thanks for the tips. I soaked the lines with the cleaner Keg Connection sells for 10 hours, now the ginger ale taste and smell is gone.

Back