brewhouse oktoberfest w Wyeast liquid Okt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just tried this yeast for the first time in an oktoberfest. my og was 1.056, I fermented in a fridge at 50 degrees F until it was down to 1.020. I let it sit at 70 F for 48 hours, then lagered it in the fridge at 30 F for a month. I tapped it this past week and it was excellent.

how do you get a fridge up to 50 F? I have adjusted the fridge control to "cool" and I'll see how that goes. Currently the content had been about 28F but everything was already chilled before I adjusted the temp so maybe the batch of Oktoberfest will help up the temp while it cools.

There are all kinds of temp controllers for a fridge or freezer. They are great for maintaining a consistent controlled temperature. The other option is less consistent but also works. Just leave a thermometer in the fridge and play with the built in temp controls until you get it where you want it. Just make sure you check on it often, I've seen refrigerators fluctuate temps +-10 F.

I have the fridge on the warmest setting. I have also turned the fan to the lowest possible setting.
I have opened the fridge a crack as well. Still the temp is around 40F which is too low. This is frustrating...
I wonder if I should just take the primary and let it fluctuate at room temp and then have it colder in the secondary.
Any thoughts?!

Agreed. I guess I'm just lucky? enough to have an old enough fridge that "cool" is 55 degrees and "cold" is 30.

brown froth in the primary
Does this look odd? It's day 8 in the primary with the Oktoberfest kit

DSCN7684.jpg

This turned out a beautifully balanced beer. I crave it. It took more than two months but it well worth the wait.

Back