Anyone got any links for reasonable 15 gal fermentors?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

akthor

Reaction score
I was originally gonna do plastic conicals but decided against the conical route anyone have any links to reasonably priced 15 gallon fermentors or food safe vessels that can be easily turned into fermentors?

What do you consider "reasonably priced"?

You can ferment in one of these:

http://www.containerandpackaging.com/item/D032

They are what suppliers use to ship bulk LME. My LHBS ends up with a bunch so they basically give them away. I have used them in the past for fermentation, although typically I ferment in smaller quantities.

And you might look around on craigslist or similar. I have seen them locally on CL for free/cheap although typically they are advertised as being for storing e.g. rainwater.

I was originally gonna do plastic conicals but decided against the conical route anyone have any links to reasonably priced 15 gallon fermentors or food safe vessels that can be easily turned into fermentors?
I'm just curious why you decided against conicals? I hear a lot of good things about them.

I am a believer in 30 day primary, so I have no problem leaving the beer on the yeast and letting it do its thing.

Mostly decided against conicals due to the added challenges of the shape of them. Having to build/fabricate special stands or racks for them.

Those are exactly the kind of thing I am looking for. If your LHBS ever has them for free grab and I can pay you a little something for the troubles of shipping them to me ;)

What do you consider "reasonably priced"?

You can ferment in one of these:

http://www.containerandpackaging.com/item/D032

They are what suppliers use to ship bulk LME. My LHBS ends up with a bunch so they basically give them away. I have used them in the past for fermentation, although typically I ferment in smaller quantities.

And you might look around on craigslist or similar. I have seen them locally on CL for free/cheap although typically they are advertised as being for storing e.g. rainwater.

Besides craigslist and LHBS (both great sources BTW), soda bottling companies are also a good source for that type of container. Most of the ones at the soda plants are larger, but they usually have some of the 15 gal ones too. Around here they sell for $12-15 each regardless of source.

Living in rural maine craigslist isn't as useful as it is in other places.

Its maple syrup season here I see a lot of sap gatherers using those containers maybe I can stop and find out where they are getting them?

Living in rural maine craigslist isn't as useful as it is in other places.

Its maple syrup season here I see a lot of sap gatherers using those containers maybe I can stop and find out where they are getting them?
When you see them stop and trade some beer for a couple containers...

http://www.spraysmarter.com/public/buy/category/default.aspx?ID=49 I picked one up, stainless ball valve on ebay. About $100 total for it all. Easy clean up, food grade, and all the benefits of a conical. There are a few good threads on here to walk you through the build. I believe spotteddog had one of them.

I would look for a supplier closer to you. These guys are less than an hour from me which I didn't realize until after ordering so any more I'll just drive to pick up. Most farm supply dealers should carry these.

I don't want to do conicals.

http://www.spraysmarter.com/public/buy/category/default.aspx?ID=49 I picked one up, stainless ball valve on ebay. About $100 total for it all. Easy clean up, food grade, and all the benefits of a conical. There are a few good threads on here to walk you through the build. I believe spotteddog had one of them.

I would look for a supplier closer to you. These guys are less than an hour from me which I didn't realize until after ordering so any more I'll just drive to pick up. Most farm supply dealers should carry these.

Those are exactly the kind of thing I am looking for. If your LHBS ever has them for free grab and I can pay you a little something for the troubles of shipping them to me ;)

Well I did a quick check and the bare minimum cost to ship it (i.e. slap a shipping label on the drum, which I'm not even sure if I can do) would be something like $40 to Maine.

I know it's CRAZY, empty they must weigh nothing. I can order the 15 gallon (even larger) conicals and get FREE shipping :(

Well I did a quick check and the bare minimum cost to ship it (i.e. slap a shipping label on the drum, which I'm not even sure if I can do) would be something like $40 to Maine.

Back