Should I bottle or wait?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I recently made my first all grain batch, ten gallons of brown ale. I split the wort into two batches as I have two boiling kettles. I tried alternating by putting the first running and last runnings in one pot and the middle portion in the second. I ended up with one slightly darker and higher gravity after boiling.

Fermenter one OG 1.051, Current Gravity 1.012
Fermenter two OG 1.040, Current Gravity 1.014

I fermented like I usually do. One week in primary, two weeks in secondary. When I made extract, the beer would quiet and clear after two weeks in a secondary and I bottled.

With these two batches, it's still somewhat cloudy and I see tiny bubbles coming up to the top. I've sat quietly watching them (and drinking some nice belgian white ale) and see no activity in the airlock for 15 minutes.

Should I bottle, or wait another week? I've got 6 cases of empties sitting in bleach waiting to be filled, and two helpers coming over expecting free beer while we bottle.

It never hurts to wait it out another week. I know it's hard, but you can do it!

After reviewing Hydrometer correction info, I found the OG was a bit higher as I took readings at 85 degrees.

Fermenter one OG 1.055, Current Gravity 1.012
Fermenter two OG 1.044, Current Gravity 1.014

Back