My $15 solution to putting a keggle on top of my SP10

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hoppedupbrewer

Reaction score
I know there are several versions of this floating around, but I figured one more couldn't hurt :D

I didn't plan far enough ahead with my brew gear to consider that the SP10 I picked up on Amazon for cheap wouldn't support a keggle, but I finally got around to cutting a whole in the top of the thing, and put it to use this winter, so that meant I either needed another burner, or I needed to solve the problem with the one I had. The latter was more SWMBO-friendly

For few dollars worth of angle-iron, some bolts, and a lot of cursing, it's wicked sturdy. Not the prettiest work I've ever done, but it does the job. More in-depth writeup on my blog if anyone is interested, and of course, feel free to ask questions here :mug:

6817274892_010e9ca780_z.jpg

Thats pretty awesome. I really should do something like this instead of my "laythe grill grate on top, line up the flat spots and and hope the keggle doesnt tilt enough to fall over" current process.

Ingenuity, the mother of invention! :mug:

...how much weight can that stand...stand?

Quite a lot. The extensions are actually more sturdy than the legs at this point. I tested it by standing on the outside corners of the extensions with buckets of water in each hand. I feel a lot better with 12+ gallons of boiling wort on top of this than I would with just a grill grate, not to say others haven't had success with that approach. I'm clumsy and like to eliminate chances of me spilling a pot of wort :drunk:

ooohhh i feel for you, drilling holes in steel is no fun at all....great job!

hoppedupbrewer said:
Quite a lot. The extensions are actually more sturdy than the legs at this point. I tested it by standing on the outside corners of the extensions with buckets of water in each hand. I feel a lot better with 12+ gallons of boiling wort on top of this than I would with just a grill grate, not to say others haven't had success with that approach. I'm clumsy and like to eliminate chances of me spilling a pot of wort :drunk:

Please tell me that when u were standing on the stand with 2 buckets of water u were doing it crane style like the karate kid....also sweet idea

Nice! I need to do something like this in the next couple days.

How long were each of the sides? Think I could get away with using slotted steel:

f8791bbd-be24-4314-ba27-20ccf49f034e_300.jpg

Check his link. He's has pictures there.

It looks like a good idea. BassBeer, I like your idea of the slotted steel. It's probably less expensive and easier to work with. Off to Lowes!

I did this yesterday with BassBeer's idea of slotted steel. $15 total at Lowes. It worked great and it was easy. Took me about 15 minutes.

Thanks for the ideas, guys!

I did this yesterday with BassBeer's idea of slotted steel. $15 total at Lowes. It worked great and it was easy. Took me about 15 minutes.

Thanks for the ideas, guys!

I used slotted steel, but couldn't get a good balance with the square so I went with a triangle format. Works great!

Nice! I need to do something like this in the next couple days.

How long were each of the sides? Think I could get away with using slotted steel:

f8791bbd-be24-4314-ba27-20ccf49f034e_300.jpg

Sorry I missed this;

Each side was around 14.25". The worst part of the project was the ring isn't a perfect circle, so it's kind of a pain to get everything mounted up. I cut things to fit as I went, so it's not the nicest looking, but still rock solid many batches later. I don't have permission to edit the original post, so here's a replacement pic. As mentioned, there are more on my blog

6817274892_2c430a6e15_z.jpg

I ran into the same problem when I made one for my burner.

I ended up cutting them all the same, bolting them together and then forcing the ring to be round ;). The ring has some give so it can be done. It was a pain but it fits really tight now and is very solid!

I never liked the idea of using a grill grate just laid on the top so this was the perfect alternative.

I was never comfortable with the grill-grate, either. If I have 12 gallons of boiling liquid, I want that pot to be as stable as possible, and this wasn't any more expensive than buying an extra grate.

Latest posts

Back