Heading to Syracuse soon, any brewpubs to recommend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Empire is worth checking out, the beer is not bad and the food is pretty good! thats really the only brew pub in town unless you consider Suds factory which is subpar from everyone I have spoke with. Middle Ages has a tasting room that is worth a visit.

if you want a good beer selection check out the blue tusk, a lot of taps but a little pricey. I prefer J-Ryans, good food and a great beer selection. If you are not coming for a few weeks Clarks is supposed to be opening back up, before they were kicked out of a building for an expansion they were on a few lists of best beer bars in the country.

I like Empire for their beer and food and have heard good things about the Blue Tusk although I've never been there. Whatever you do, don't go to the Suds Factory, their food sucks and their beer is worse. It's one of only 2 places I have ever sent a beer back because it was so bad. I think they were pretty insulted and didn't credit my bill the beer.

You should checkout danzers. Food is great, recomend big red rueben, pretty good selection of taps. I would say around 10 mostly european styles

Chalk up another NO to Suds Factory. Absolutely make sure you get to Middle Ages, I was very surprised by home much I enjoye their beer. I also highly reccomend Dinosaur BBQ. Some awesome meats coming out of that place!

Chalk up another NO to Suds Factory. Absolutely make sure you get to Middle Ages, I was very surprised by home much I enjoye their beer. I also highly reccomend Dinosaur BBQ. Some awesome meats coming out of that place!

there is a better spot in town IMO for BBQ and since it is not know its way less busy, Limp Lizard. Some friends wanted to go to Dinosaur after the SU game last weekend so we stopped over, 3 hour wait, walked into LL and sat right down, everyone thought the food was every bit as good.

Damn, I'll have to try it next time I'm up there! I hate missing out on good BBQ places when I visit an area.

there are 3 of them in the area, my favorite one is the one in Liverpool on the north side of the lake. similar atmosphere as dino but less crowded, good beer on tap too!

I went to Empire on saturday and the wait was 1 1/2 - 2 hours. We decided to run over to Blue Tusk until our table was ready. Some notable taps we drank: Stone RIS, Great Divide Espresso Oak Aged Yeti and Rogue Shakespeare on Nitro.

Syracuse dining week(s) extends to the 29th so every participating restaurant is pretty packed.

http://downtownsyracuse.com/index.php/static/C148

Thanks for the tips.

Got Empire and Blue Tusk on the list then. And crossed off Suds Factory.

Will see if have time for any of the BBQ places. Great info.

Where are these other BBQ places you speak of? I've been getting pretty tired of just getting bbq at dinosaur.

Also, OP, I don't know what type of beers you like, though on fridays/weekends at the tusk you can usually find Middle Ages beer on cask. Also, if you like big IPA's, Ithaca Flower Power is a great beer and usually on tap. One of the best IMO.

It was mentioned in earlier posts, but J Ryan's has a great selection. Not as crowded nor as pricey. Everyday they have different $2 or $2.50 specials of drafts.

Limp Lizard BBQ, there are 3 locations, one in north Syracuse on Rt 11 that only has a couple tables, mostly take out and catering. one in Liverpool right across from M&T bank on 1st st and the original in in Syracuse on Onondaga blvd. I havent been to the original, the liverpool location is about 2 miles from my house and I feel like there is no reason to go to the one in the city. great atmosphere, about 20 taps with mostly craft brew, and great food!

Will be spending most of my time in Liverpool, so seems like Limp Lizard is on the list for sure. Thanks for the info.

bierhaus, I enjoy all types of beer, and the tusk is a place I would definitely frequent. Thanks for the tip.

Will be spending most of my time in Liverpool, so seems like Limp Lizard is on the list for sure. Thanks for the info.

bierhaus, I enjoy all types of beer, and the tusk is a place I would definitely frequent. Thanks for the tip.

if you are going to be in Liverpool the Coblestone has an ok beer selection, nothing amazing but they have a handful of craft brews and free peanuts! also, if you need a good burger Village Burger on old liverpool road is the place to go! need any other recommendations let me know.

We hit up Empire and Blue Tusk when we were there over the summer - had a blast! We went on a weekday afternoon, so it wasnt crowded at all. Had a nice talk with the owner of the Tusk, walked up the street and had Dino for dinner (food was meh), hit Empire for some really good craft brews and ended up back at the Tusk. Highly recommend both places...

nvr2low, already got the advance on Village Burger. My sister lives in Liverpool and she said I can't leave without eating a Spitfire burger there. Into hot foods and she says this will do it.
Thanks for the tips everybody. What was going to be a fun family gathering, will now be tons of fun for me with all these recommended places to visit!

If you are ever in St Louis, just holla.

nvr2low, already got the advance on Village Burger. My sister lives in Liverpool and she said I can't leave without eating a Spitfire burger there. Into hot foods and she says this will do it.
Thanks for the tips everybody. What was going to be a fun family gathering, will now be tons of fun for me with all these recommended places to visit!

If you are ever in St Louis, just holla.

yes, the hot food challenge they have is nuts, my friend tried a 1/4lb burger doused in the sauce, he hurt for 2 days......

Back