Sight Glass potential?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks like the fittings I used to use on my paintball gun.

Are they cheap enough to buy one or two to experiment with?

That's what I use for my sight glasses, weldless. Just sweated a washer on the inserted end to provide a strong back to clamp down. Polycarbonate sticks right in.

My concern is how hard a setup like Bobby's is to clean. I am trying to make a connection that can easily disassemble for cleaning or repair and I want to use a Pyrex tube which I think Bobby's is plastic which scratches and clouds easier.

Can anyone post a picture of one of my sight glasses that has been used for like 20 batches? Do they really get cloudy?

Those Legris fittings look pretty cool though. The best price I found was a two-pack for $200 at drillspot.com. Hide ya kids, hide ya wife.

If you really want to use pyrex tubing, just use a regular compression fitting with the ferrules replaced with orings. You HAVE to put a protective shroud on no matter what.

And hide yo Husband cause...They are around 15$ a piece on another website. I would love to see some brew torn sight glasses if anyone has pics.

I only have about six brews with Bobby's sight glasses, but they're as clear as the day I got them. Sorry no pics though.

I can not vouch for Bobby's sight glasses as I have not used one, but mine are built in a very similar fashion. I may have even given him the idea?

here
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/threading-poly-carbonate-tubing-145613/

here is a link to how mine were made

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/cheap-sight-glass-229974/

I could not be happier with mine I have put just over 100 gallons through my setup and there still as clear as the day they were built. also I know for a fact Bobby M has plenty oh happy customers. also you really don't need to disassemble every thing all that often, a good hot water rinse post brew and PBW soak takes care of the Nasties just fine.

I've got a poly-carbonate site glass on my boil kettle and it has been fine. I just flush it with water at the end of every brew as a part of the cleaning process.

And hide yo Husband cause...They are around 15$ a piece on another website. I would love to see some brew torn sight glasses if anyone has pics.

I haven't found any decent prices on any site that would work for this application but I also didn't spend more than 5 minutes. The ones someone linked on Ebay are only for 4mm OD tubing which would be really fragile. I wouldn't use anything smaller than 1/2" OD thickwall borosilicate.

I can not vouch for Bobby's sight glasses as I have not used one, but mine are built in a very similar fashion. I may have even given him the idea?

I had to check out the thread to make sure I wasn't about to spout off some BS because I actually don't remember how I got the idea to thread my tubing. I noticed that your thread was from March. I started doing the threaded tube style kits at least as far back as Feb 2010 https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/sight-glass-thermometer-back-stock-164919/

I actually had a brush company make long handled brushes to specs that would clean but not scratch the interior of the tubing. There is no reason to remove the tubing from the fitting.

I don't want anyone to get the impression that I'm adamantly defending my product in the sense that I don't think you should DIY. I'm all for DIY. It's how I ended up in this business in the first place. I will defend the product from criticisms that are unwarrented however.

In good faith of the DIY spirit, what you're looking for is 12.7 mm SIMAX tubing with 2.2mm wall thickness from an art glass supplier. If it's a custom shop, you'll want to have them cut it to length for you and flame polish each end or you'll chip the hell out of it just trying to put it together. If you want to keep from snapping it in the fitting, use a compression fitting for 3/4" OD tube and slip a piece of 1/2" x 3/4" silicone tubing onto the end before inserting into the fitting.

Or you can buy one of my kits, install it and be brewing.

I've had my sight glass from Bobby for over a year and I have to occasionally run a hose cleaning brush through it but that's it. If I keep it clean it's clear as can be.

My concern is how hard a setup like Bobby's is to clean. I am trying to make a connection that can easily disassemble for cleaning or repair and I want to use a Pyrex tube which I think Bobby's is plastic which scratches and clouds easier.

I have Bobby's sight glass which I have used for about 6 brews. I bought the cleaning brush and it's easy to disassemble so I have no problem cleaning it.

Back