Brew Stand Design

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

j_jones84

Reaction score
My google sketchup design for stand.

All electric. Batch sparge. One pump.

The footprint on my kegs are 15" bottom, 17" center.

The center strut is pretty much just for the pump mounting. Cooling will be IC whir pooling.

If there will be any automation, it will be PID on the HLT.

Thoughts? I have never brewed on a stand. Or used a pump. Or brewed with electric. Or used Google Sketch up. Was inspired by Bobby's sketch.
BrewStand.jpg

I'm no expert, but if I were doing another one..

The depth, I'd make at least 16 1/8 (keg dim), and I'd be thinking about a tipper for the mash & kettle.

Your going to need some more support on cross members, and a diagonal wouldn't hurt.

On the back side , there is no vertical support. On the top there is no cross support.

I'd take the center out, use angle to form "cradles" for the kegs.

I'm no expert, but if I were doing another one..

The depth, I'd make at least 16 1/8 (keg dim), and I'd be thinking about a tipper for the mash & kettle.

Your going to need some more support on cross members, and a diagonal wouldn't hurt.

On the back side , there is no vertical support. On the top there is no cross support.

I'd take the center out, use angle to form "cradles" for the kegs.

I could definitely go deeper than 16", just didn't see the need to since my kegs bottom diameter was 15" (There are several different keg dimensions).

Tippers not an option for me. I considered it, just don't think it will be worth the work. I will be removing the grain via a shopvac. No lifting required.

Yah I might put another post on the back side. The one in the front is just for the march pump mount. I don't think other supports are necessary with the steel. Seems like a lot of rigs are overbuilt. I could be wrong though. Would be interested in some numbers in what is really necessary for supporting 13gallons of wort in a keg.

I considered angle iron to cradle the kegs too. I might change my mind but I don't feel the need to cradle them. Since I am using a 60qt coleman for my MLT I think it might be more of a hindrance.

Thanks for the reply, if you were to put other supports where would you put them?

That's a pretty good span. I'd put a cross brace across the center and a support on the back side. Might be fine, but it's not that much more work. You could probably even go with a thinner and lighter steel with just the right bracing, making the whole thing lighter and maybe cheaper to build.

I think I will add that brace in the back, just two more welds. Yes it will be fully welded. Thanks for the comments!

I'd do away with the middle length and add some short lengths between the back and front supports effectively making a square frame as a base for each keg. The central vertical support back and front would be sufficient.

I'd probably increase the spacing between the kegs as well - adding insulation to the vessels will reduce that space and a bit more space seems to be a common theme for some people rigs if they were to do it over again.

Might want to make sure the left caster mounting plate is fully under the frame ;)

Horizontal space is really limited for my garage unfortunately. Lot of people recommending I remove the top center bar. I figured it would be nice to have more of a "Table top" design where I could put the vessels anywhere on the top rather than having set cradles. What is the reason to go to this method other than being able to put burners in the center?

Here's an idea. IF you are trying to have configurable horizontal space, I'd make the stand bottom large enough to store vessels. That should put the top near "bench height" and give you flexibility.

I have similar issues, and have a very compact rig. Everything has QD's on it, and when I need the space, the HLT & MLT sit away from the work area. My Kettle stores below the other vessels, then when I brew it comes out and sits on a cinder block.

I guess I don't know much about framing. I thought if I used the 1/8" wall tube that is overkill I would not need to add the suggested braces.

My question is, what is the horizontal strength of the tube?

I think the general consensus is 1/16 steel tube is strong enough.

Back